Volume using midpoint rule

• Thread starter tictactony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, a CAT scan produces equally spaced cross-sectional views of a human organ, such as a liver, providing information that would otherwise require surgery. If the CAT scan of a 15 cm long liver shows cross-sections spaced 1.5 cm apart, with surface areas of 0, 19, 58, 79, 95, 105, 116, 128, 63, 40, and 0 square centimeters, the Midpoint Rule with n = 5 can be used to estimate the volume V of the liver. However, since the data covers 10 intervals and n = 5 requires 5 intervals, it may be more accurate to use n = 10. The sum of
tictactony

Homework Statement

A CAT scan produces equally spaced cross-sectional views of a human organ that provide information about the organ otherwise obtained only by surgery. Suppose that a CAT scan of a human liver shows cross-sections spaced 1.5 cm apart. The liver is 15 cm long and the cross-sectional areas, in square centimeters, are 0, 19, 58, 79, 95, 105, 116, 128, 63, 40, and 0. Use the Midpoint Rule with n = 5 to estimate the volume V of the liver.

Homework Equations

Not sure what I'm suppose to use, disk method? [tex]V = \int\pi r^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to treat this like I would a normal riemann sum using the midpoint rule because the question is asking for a volume and I'm given surface area. The way I see this problem I feel like I have to add up all the surface areas because that's what you do when you find volume by integration. This wouldn't make sense though since I'm given the midpoint rule of n=5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tictactony said:
Midpoint Rule with n = 5
That is puzzling given that the data cover 10 intervals. It smells like a question that has been modified inconsistently.
n=5 requires 5 intervals, so 6 datapoints. Which 6 of the 11 to choose? I would answer using n=10.
tictactony said:
the question is asking for a volume and I'm given surface area
You have a set of readings at boundaries of given intervals. If the readings have dimension X and the intervals have dimension Y then the sum of the pairwise products has dimension XY. In this case, X=L2, Y=L, so XY=L3.

1. What is the midpoint rule for finding volume?

The midpoint rule for finding volume is a method used in calculus to approximate the volume of a solid by dividing it into smaller sections and finding the average height of the sections using the midpoint of each section.

2. How is the midpoint rule different from other methods of finding volume?

The midpoint rule differs from other methods of finding volume because it uses the midpoint of each section instead of the endpoints. This allows for a more accurate approximation of the volume as it takes into account the varying heights within each section.

3. Can the midpoint rule be used for irregularly shaped objects?

Yes, the midpoint rule can be used to find the volume of irregularly shaped objects. However, the accuracy of the approximation may vary depending on the complexity of the shape.

4. What is the formula for calculating volume using the midpoint rule?

The formula for calculating volume using the midpoint rule is V = ∑(A * Δx), where V is the volume, A is the average height of each section, and Δx is the width of each section.

5. Are there any limitations to using the midpoint rule for finding volume?

One limitation of using the midpoint rule for finding volume is that it is only an approximation and may not give the exact volume of the solid. Additionally, it may be more time-consuming and complex to use for objects with irregular shapes compared to other methods.