Cartesian product help?I'm interested how to solve the following problem:

In summary, you need to find the angle opposite to side c if you know that (a+b+c)x(a+b-c)=3ab. To do this, you use the cosine rule: c^2=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos(\gamma).
Chuckster
I'm interested how to solve the following problem:
if we have a triangle, where a,b,c are sides of that triangle and we know that
(a+b+c)x(a+b-c)=3ab, we need to find the angle opposite to side c.

How to do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no clue what (a+b+c)x(a, b, -x)= 3ab means. Are a, b, and c numbers or vectors? What does "(a, b, -z)" mean?

HallsofIvy said:
I have no clue what (a+b+c)x(a, b, -x)= 3ab means. Are a, b, and c numbers or vectors? What does "(a, b, -z)" mean?

i messed up the post. check the edited version.

Hello Chuckster! :smile:

You still have not explained what (a+b+c)x(a+b-c)=3ab means. Are a,b,c just numbers and is x the regular multiplication? Also, what does the Cartesion product have to do with all of this?

When given three sider a,b,c, you can always find the angle opposite to c (called [tex]\gamma[/tex]) by the cosine rule:

[tex]c^2=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos(\gamma)[/tex].

I really have no clue what (a+b+c)x(a+b-c)=3ab has to do with this though...

micromass said:
Hello Chuckster! :smile:

You still have not explained what (a+b+c)x(a+b-c)=3ab means. Are a,b,c just numbers and is x the regular multiplication? Also, what does the Cartesion product have to do with all of this?

When given three sider a,b,c, you can always find the angle opposite to c (called [tex]\gamma[/tex]) by the cosine rule:

[tex]c^2=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos(\gamma)[/tex].

I really have no clue what (a+b+c)x(a+b-c)=3ab has to do with this though...

I know the law of cosines, but i can't find a way to use it here, because i don't know the numerical values of the pages, neither do i know the angles.

I just know i have the condition given that
(a+b+c)x(a+b-c)=3ab.

I'm guessing that x marks the Cartesian product of a+b+c and a+b-c and is equal to 3ab.
But, that doesn't sound logical or reasonable to me.

Did you try by expanding (a+b+c)(a+b-c) and then substitute

[tex]a^2+b^2-c^2=2ab\cos(\gamma)[/tex]

Try if you can do something like that...

micromass said:
Did you try by expanding (a+b+c)(a+b-c) and then substitute

[tex]a^2+b^2-c^2=2ab\cos(\gamma)[/tex]

Try if you can do something like that...

actually that was the key to solving this, but i found a version of this task where it said
(a+b+c)X(a+b-c), and i was in doubt what X means, and i thought it was a vector product.

however, it turned out to be just simple ol' multiplying.

What is a Cartesian product?

A Cartesian product is a mathematical operation that combines two sets of elements to create a new set. It is represented by the symbol x and results in a set of ordered pairs.

How do you calculate a Cartesian product?

To calculate a Cartesian product, you multiply each element in one set with every element in the other set. For example, if set A = {1,2} and set B = {a,b}, the Cartesian product would be {(1,a), (1,b), (2,a), (2,b)}.

What is the purpose of a Cartesian product?

A Cartesian product is used to find all possible combinations of two sets of elements. It is often used in mathematics and computer science to solve problems related to probability, statistics, and data analysis.

What are some real-world applications of Cartesian products?

Cartesian products have various real-world applications, such as creating a product catalog for an online store, generating all possible combinations of ingredients for a recipe, and determining all possible outcomes in a game of chance.

How do you represent a Cartesian product in set notation?

A Cartesian product is represented in set notation by using the x symbol between two sets. For example, if set A = {1,2} and set B = {a,b}, the Cartesian product would be written as A x B = {(1,a), (1,b), (2,a), (2,b)}.