Finding Derivative of sinx: What do I do Next?

• Thread starter iRaid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the derivative of sinx using limits and the product-to-sum trigonometric identity. The first step is to simplify the expression using the identity and then solve for the limit of the resulting expression. The second step is to use the known limit of sinx/h to solve for the limit of the original expression.
iRaid
I know the derivative is cosx but I don't know what to do.
So I get the derivative of sinx down to:
[tex]\frac{sinxcosh}{h} - \frac{sinx}{h} + \frac{cosxsinh}{h}[/tex]

What do I do after that?
(not a homework problem)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi iRaid! :smile:

First about notation: don't forget the limit!

I see that you need to calculate two limits now:

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{\frac{\cos(h)-1}{h}}=0~~\text{and}~~\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{\frac{\sin(h)}{h}}=1[/tex]

The second limit should be known to you (if not, see http://www.khanacademy.org/video/proof--lim--sin-x--x?playlist=Calculus for a nice derivation).
The first limit follows from the second by multiplying numerator and denominator by 1+cos(x).

Last edited by a moderator:
You should simplify sinxcosh+coshsinx into one simple trig function and then use the http://www.sosmath.com/trig/prodform/prodform.html" .

rock.freak667 said:
You should simplify sinxcosh+coshsinx into one simple trig function and then use the http://www.sosmath.com/trig/prodform/prodform.html" .

Well that makes it much easier also @micromass, thanks too :) and I didn't forget the limit, just I didn't know how to do it in latex :p

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

The derivative of a function is a measure of how the function changes with respect to its input. It is the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function.

2. How do I find the derivative of sinx?

To find the derivative of sinx, you can use the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is n*x^(n-1). In the case of sinx, the exponent is 1, so the derivative is cosx.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the derivative of sinx?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a built-in function for finding derivatives. Look for a button labeled "dy/dx" or "derivative" to access this function.

4. What is the derivative of sinx at a specific point?

The derivative of sinx at a specific point is equivalent to the slope of the tangent line at that point. To find this, you can plug in the x-value of the point into the derivative function, which is cosx, and the resulting value will be the slope.

5. What is the purpose of finding the derivative of sinx?

The derivative of sinx can be used to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization. It is also an important concept in calculus, as it allows for the calculation of slopes and areas under curves.