Definitions and if and only if statements

• Thread starter lonewolf5999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definitions
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of an upper bound and whether it is an "if and only if" statement. It is confirmed that definitions are always "if and only if" statements, and the unnecessary use of variables in definitions is also mentioned.
lonewolf5999
I'm trying to learn some analysis on my own, and as this is the first proof-based book I'm reading, I have a basic question about definitions I was hoping someone could help me with. For example, the book I'm reading says that: Given a subset of the real numbers A, b is an upper bound of A if every element a of A is less than or equal to b. I rephrase this definition of the upper bound as: if every element a of A is less than or equal to b, then b is an upper bound of A.

My question is: is this definition an if and only if statement? That is, is the statement "If b is an upper bound of A, then every element a of A is less than or equal to b" also true? It seems like it should be, but I was hoping to get some confirmation or clarification on this. More generally, is it safe to assume that all definitions are if and only if statements? If not, is there any way to tell when they aren't?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lonewolf5999! :smile:

Yes, it is safe to assume that every definition is an "if and only if"-statement.

A definition is a tautologically true predicate. It is essentially a substitution of terms.

Is "u = 2" an iff statement, where u is previously undefined? Well, the "if and only if" would consist of "x = 2 <-> u = x". The iff-part is uneccesary, and adds nothing to what has already been defined. In formal systems it might be otherwise. Definitions might (or might not) be stated in terms of an iff-statement. But that is not necessarily directly relevant.

Last edited:
As they've already said: Yes, definitions are defining what is logically equivalent.

But, I want to mention something else. Usually, one should only name things you intend to mention again. For example: "if every element a of A is less than or equal to b, then b is an upper bound of A." The "a" is unnecessary. The meaning of "if every element of A is less than or equal to b, then b is an upper bound of A" is exactly the same and doesn't leave the reader wondering "wtf is the a for"? Now, if you rephrased it "If, for all a in A, a is less than or equal to b, then b is the upper bound of A," then it is clear the naming of a is necessary.

Not to nitpick. I'm just now learning to write proofs and logical statements myself. :)

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of definitions in science?

Definitions in science are used to establish a clear and precise understanding of key concepts and terms. They allow scientists to communicate effectively and ensure that everyone is on the same page when discussing a particular subject.

2. How are definitions in science different from everyday definitions?

In science, definitions are often more specific and precise than everyday definitions. They are based on empirical evidence and are subject to change as new evidence is discovered. Everyday definitions, on the other hand, are often based on personal opinions and can be more subjective.

3. What is an if and only if statement in science?

An if and only if statement, also known as a biconditional statement, is a logical statement that is true if and only if both of its parts are true. In science, this type of statement is often used to establish a necessary and sufficient condition for a certain phenomenon or concept.

4. How are if and only if statements used in scientific experiments?

If and only if statements are commonly used in experimental design to establish a specific condition that must be met in order to observe a particular outcome. This helps scientists to control variables and ensure that their results are accurate and reliable.

5. Can if and only if statements be used in mathematical equations?

Yes, if and only if statements can be used in mathematical equations to represent a logical relationship between two conditions. This is often seen in geometry, where if and only if statements are used to define congruency between shapes.