What do organisms need to survive?

• Thread starter heartless
  • Start date
In summary, my teacher said that all organisms need an energy source, water, minerals, and vitamins. She also said that there are some types of organisms that can live in a vacuum. However, according to the link I provided, all organisms need water and an energy source in order to live. So it doesn't make much sense to me if all organisms need these things.
heartless
Hi fellows,
Last time in school, we learned what organisms need to survive...
My teacher listed: energy source, water, minerals, vitamins. I was just wondering where is an oxygen or any kind of gases. I asked Her, "what about an oxygen or some kinds of gases, I think organisms cannot live in a vacuum" and She said: there are some types of organisms that can live in a vacuum. Until now I thought that it's impossible to grow/live in a vacuum. But in addition do all organisms really need energy source, etc as above and are there really organisms that can live in a vacuum? I tried to look in google, however couldn't find anything. If You are sure of the right answer please tell, and if you have, can you paste some links on the topic?
Thanks all.

p.s There is also something that bothers me. "All organisms need energy source, water, minerals and vitamins" + "there are some types of organisms that can live in a vacuum" ... :-s It doesn't make any sense, at least for me, do You think the same way?

Biology news on Phys.org
heartless said:
do all organisms really need energy source
yes, all life requires an energy source.
If you are looking for a reference that describes this, try the http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/rncse_content/vol23/7513_astrobiology_and_the_search_fo_12_30_1899.asp [Broken]
Habitable Environments on Earth and Beyond ...In addition to liquid water and organic chemicals, life requires an energy source. Early life on Earth extracted energy from dissolved chemicals through fermentation and other reactions. Photosynthesis, however, enables life to tap the much greater energy of sunlight itself.
heartless said:
All organisms need energy source, water, minerals and vitamins
Perhaps a better description of the components for life (as we know it) are; liquid water, chemical building blocks (vitamins, minerals, carbon, hydrogen, oxygen) and an energy source. http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/life/beginnings/ [Broken]

I'm not familiar with any organisms that can live in a vacuum. Besides if water is a requirement for living organisms; in a vacuum, water will vaporize and dissipate (vanish). It logically follows, since organisms require water, they cannot live in a vacuum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps your teacher's statement about animals that "live in a vacuum" was referring to animals that can survive exposure to a vacuum. http://www.astrobio.net/news/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=261" are a great example of an group of organisms that can live through periods of extreme environmental change, but they technically just shut down until better conditions return, ie. return of normal pressure. So one might argue that they aren't "living" as much as biding their time. That link also makes some statements about other extremophiles and the conditions they live under.

Last edited by a moderator:
to learn about organisms that don't need any air just look up anaerobic organisms, yes that means there is such thing

What do organisms need to survive?

Organisms need a variety of things to survive, including nutrients, water, oxygen, and a suitable environment.

What are nutrients and why are they important?

Nutrients are substances that provide energy and materials for an organism's growth, maintenance, and repair. They are important because they are essential for the functioning of an organism's cells and tissues.

How much water do organisms need to survive?

The amount of water an organism needs to survive varies depending on the type of organism and its environment. Generally, organisms need enough water to maintain cellular hydration and to facilitate metabolic processes.

Why is oxygen important for survival?

Oxygen is a vital component of cellular respiration, which is the process by which organisms convert nutrients into energy. Without oxygen, organisms would not be able to produce enough energy to carry out essential functions.

What happens if an organism's environment is not suitable for survival?

If an organism's environment is not suitable for survival, it may struggle to obtain the necessary resources to survive. In extreme cases, the organism may die or be forced to adapt to the new environment in order to survive.