Closing of the chemistry subforum

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, after discussing with Greg, it was decided to close the chemistry subforum on the forum website. This was due to a lack of traffic and the belief that posting a link to chemicalforums.com would provide better answers for chemistry-related questions. Old threads from the chemistry forum will be moved in the near future. Many members expressed sadness at the decision, but some also noted that chemistry questions could easily be answered in other subforums. There was also a suggestion to replace the chemistry forum with a diagnostics forum. Some members also joked about the closing of the forum and discussed the relationship between chemistry and physics. Overall, the decision was made to close the chemistry forum and redirect members to other subforums for chemistry-related discussions.
Borek
Mentor
After discussion with Greg we decided to close the chemistry subforum. It doesn't attract a lot of traffic, so we decided it will be better to post just a link to chemicalforums.com where the questions will better fit (and will get better answers) anyway.

Old threads will be moved in a near future, probably around April 5th-7th.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a Blue Day in PF history. :(

Unfortunately, we have had a few issues with maintaining a number of areas on PF lately. You'll recall that, until recently, the Blogs section was also slated to be removed from PF. It has its reprieve for now, but who knows how long that will last.

It is too bad that we can't keep the Chemistry forum. Please note that we will start entertaining chemistry discussions within the Atomic/Molecular/Solid State/Condensed Matter section of the Physics subforums as soon as the Chemistry forum is gone.

Zz.

Chemicals are just not safe, ever. We should never use them. Sorry guys! Case closed! We are looking into replacing the forum with something people seem to enjoy like a Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus forum.

The sad truth is that no one is really studying chemistry these days. Thanks to shows like Big Bang theory my university had ten applicants for every one physics position and only ten applicants total for the chemistry department!

It's not too bad though. Chemistry is just half physics half biology anyway, a mentor from each of those sub forums working as a team can easily deal with any requests we may in the future.

MgO!

ZapperZ said:
Please note that we will start entertaining chemistry discussions within the Atomic/Molecular/Solid State/Condensed Matter section of the Physics subforums as soon as the Chemistry forum is gone.
Which is the correct subforum for boring chemistry discussions? :biggrin:

(Am I the only person to notice what today's date is? Last year Micromass threatened to close down the cat pictures thread...)

AlephZero said:
(Am I the only person to notice what today's date is? Last year Micromass threatened to close down the cat pictures thread...)
Closing a forum is a lot more serious of an issue than closing a thread.

I have to admit I often wondered why we had a chemistry section. I have to agree with Ryan, any chemistry questions can easily be answered in "Other Sciences".

Ryan_m_b said:
The sad truth is that no one is really studying chemistry these days. Thanks to shows like Big Bang theory my university had ten applicants for every one physics position and only ten applicants total for the chemistry department!
Really? I have completed a BSc degree in chemistry and it was doing as well as the biology BSc. Many went on to industry, such as working for Shell or even for musea: restoring paintings. I guess for MSc or PhD level it could be different.

So with the Chemistry forum closing, can we open a Diagnostics forum in its place? There is a lot of demand for that.

To be honest, chemistry isn't really a science anyway...

micromass said:

Yeah I thought it had to do with dating. PF is not a dating site.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yeah I thought it had to do with dating. PF is not a dating site.

You better not be thinking of closing down the relationships forum!

micromass said:
You better not be thinking of closing down the relationships forum!

Finding some luck in there? :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Finding some luck in there? :)

You can say a lot about relationships, but at the very least it's more rigorous than the chemistry forum! The amount of crackpottery I saw in there...

micromass said:
You can say a lot about relationships, but at the very least it's more rigorous than the chemistry forum! The amount of crackpottery I saw in there...

Developing relationships sometimes become relatives.

micromass said:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Evo said:
I have to admit I often wondered why we had a chemistry section. I have to agree with Ryan, any chemistry questions can easily be answered in "Other Sciences".

micromass said:

We know physicists are really just frustrated chemists. :approve:

epenguin said:
We know physicists are really just frustrated chemists. :approve:

Hmm, perhaps we should close the physics subforum too then. We all know mathematics is the only truth in the world.

According to Rutherford, all we really need is two forums: physics and stamp collecting.

I think we should just shut the whole thing down, and redirect everyone to https://answers.yahoo.com/. Nobody comes here, anyway.

In the words of the famous Yankee catcher and outfielder, Yogi Berra, "When people are staying away in droves, there's nothing you can do to stop them."

Mark44 said:
I think we should just shut the whole thing down, and redirect everyone to https://answers.yahoo.com/. Nobody comes here, anyway.

In the words of the famous Yankee catcher and outfielder, Yogi Berra, "When people are staying away in droves, there's nothing you can do to stop them."

Well, this is it! I had fun on this forum. Goodbye everybody!

Borek said:
...where the questions will better fit (and will get better answers) anyway.

Hey! Are you saying my answers are bad!

I'm going to miss the chemistry forum :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
micromass said:
Well, this is it! I had fun on this forum. Goodbye everybody!
Write if you get work!

Evo said:

Er - that's where the chemistry forum is or is there another forum I have missed?

It seems to me the other other sciences forums are more patchy and desultory than the chemistry where questions regularly get quality answers.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
Er - that's where the chemistry forum is or is there another forum I have missed?

It seems to me the other other sciences forums are more patchy and desultory than the chemistry where questions regularly get quality answers.
Well, we were thinking chemistry, biology, what's the difference? There are chemicals in biology, therefor, the logical decision would be to place chemistry questions in biology.

Evo said:
Well, we were thinking chemistry, biology, what's the difference? There are chemicals in biology, therefor, the logical decision would be to place chemistry questions in biology.

I wanted to wait but it might as well be said now...Me and Greg have had talks and all questions are, in their basis, biological. After all we're all people right!? Next week all forums will be folded into biology and physics forums will become what it should have always been:

biologyforums.com

:biggrin:

Evo said:

Correct. If you have a question about theoretical chemistry, then it's better dealt with in the QM or other physics forums. Applied chemistry would be better dealt with in the forum of application. For example, if you want to apply chemistry to biology, then you need to ask in the biology forum.

Chemistry nowadays is a bit of a catchall term which unifies many different and disjoint topics. We feel that those topics can be dealt with better in a more specific forum.

Also, removing the chemistry forum will save us a substantial amount of money. Just like the planned removal of the chatroom will. Sorry folks, but money really does make the world go around :frown:

Ryan_m_b said:
I wanted to wait but it might as well be said now...Me and Greg have had talks and all questions are, in their basis, biological. After all we're all people right!? Next week all forums will be folded into biology and physics forums will become what it should have always been:

biologyforums.com

:biggrin:

Funny. Greg and me had some talks too and he basically agreed that if the removal of the chemistry forum would save us the money intended, then the biology forum is the one to be removed next.

Evo said:

I get what you think of chemistry and of biology Evo and we have often heard you rule about philosophy - are there many other subjects you are uninterested in? :smile: :tongue2:

(Mind you I have often thought we needed a Forum entitled "The same three questions about buffers, pH, acids/bases". :rolleyes:

But maybe I exaggerate.

Two questions.)

micromass said:
Funny. Greg and me had some talks too and he basically agreed that if the removal of the chemistry forum would save us the money intended, then the biology forum is the one to be removed next.

Hmm, so I guess we should draw from this that Gregs master plan is none other than: GREGFORUMS :O

Ryan_m_b said:
Hmm, so I guess we should draw from this that Gregs master plan is none other than: GREGFORUMS :O
:eek:

Word is that the career guidance forum is next. If you want to know what you can do with a BS in physics, you're going to have to ask grumpy cat.

On the 2nd (April) thought we decided to leave the forum in place.