What's the best discrete mathematics textbook?

In summary, discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with countable and distinct objects, such as integers, graphs, and sets. When choosing a discrete mathematics textbook, it is important to consider factors such as level of difficulty, clarity of explanations, relevance to your field of study, and the reputation of the author and publisher. Some highly recommended textbooks in this field include "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth H. Rosen, "Concrete Mathematics" by Ronald Graham, Donald Knuth, and Oren Patashnik, and "The Art of Computer Programming" by Donald Knuth. There are also various online resources and reviews available to help you decide on a textbook, such as Goodreads, Amazon, and online forums and
BzzZZ
Apparently everyone uses either Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications by Kenneth H. Rosen or Discrete Mathematics with Applications by Susanna S. Epp. Are these really the best ones? Both are very long texts which make me think they're not rigorous and they're descriptive like Stewart’s calculus for example. Is there a discrete math text written rigorously? I appreciate any comment. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a good introduction, I favour Biggs' Discrete Mathematics, the first edition (the second is cr**; for morons only).

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with countable and distinct objects, such as integers, graphs, and sets. It is used in various fields, including computer science, engineering, and cryptography.

2. What criteria should I consider when choosing a discrete mathematics textbook?

Some important criteria to consider are the level of difficulty, the clarity of explanations, the relevance to your field of study, the inclusion of practice problems and solutions, and the reputation of the author and publisher.

3. What are some highly recommended discrete mathematics textbooks?

Some popular and highly recommended textbooks in this field include "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth H. Rosen, "Concrete Mathematics" by Ronald Graham, Donald Knuth, and Oren Patashnik, and "The Art of Computer Programming" by Donald Knuth.

4. Are there any online resources or reviews that can help me decide on a discrete mathematics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources and reviews available that offer insights and recommendations on discrete mathematics textbooks. Some popular ones include Goodreads, Amazon, and online forums and communities dedicated to mathematics and computer science.

5. Can I use a discrete mathematics textbook as a self-study guide?

Yes, many discrete mathematics textbooks are designed to be self-study guides and include practice problems and solutions to help you learn the material at your own pace. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor for a better understanding of the subject.