Young's Double Slit Experiment

In summary, the conversation is about the calculation of fringe width in an interference pattern. The correct formula for fringe width is λL/d, where L is the distance of the screen and d is the distance between two fringes. The mistake the person is making is that they are using the formula for the distance of a dark fringe, which is λL/2d. After clarification, it is determined that the person has marked the half width of a fringe instead of the full width. The correct fringe width is from the center of one bright fringe to the center of the adjacent bright fringe. This is clarified by looking at a graph of the intensity variation in an interference pattern.
cupid.callin

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=35479&stc=1&d=1305217898.png

so here i have shown the distances of two dark fringes ...

from here ... fringe width is [tex]\frac{\lambda L}{2d}[/tex]
L is distance of screen ... d is distance b/w 2 fringes.

but fringe width is [tex]\frac{\lambda L}{d}[/tex] , right ?

What mistake am i making?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the question?

i wrote it above

by using formula of distance of dark fringe ...

fringe width comes out to be ... [tex]
\frac{\lambda L}{2d}
[/tex]

but fringe width is [tex]
\frac{\lambda L}{d}
[/tex]

so why am i getting wrong answer

hello ... someone?

The fringe width is the distance between the centres of alternate dark(or bright) fringes.
Lamda D/d as marked on your diagram goes from the centre of a bright fringe to the centre of an adjacent dark fringe in other words you have marked in half the fringe width.

So you mean this is fringe width ??
attachment.php?attachmentid=35509&stc=1&d=1136054234.png

well this looks satisfying

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 495
cupid.callin said:
So you mean this is fringe width ??
attachment.php?attachmentid=35509&stc=1&d=1136054234.png

well this looks satisfying

You have now marked the fringe width correctly.

are you sure?
because fringe width means "width of 1 fringe"
but (as you said) i have marked width of 2 fringes

I did not say you marked in the width of two fringes I said you marked in the width of half a fringe.The fringe width as marked above in red is correct since it goes from the centre of a bright fringe to the centre of an adjacent bright fringe.
Look at a graph of how the intensity varies smoothly across an interference pattern and this should clarify things for you.

1. What is Young's Double Slit Experiment?

Young's Double Slit Experiment is a classic experiment in optics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern that is created on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does Young's Double Slit Experiment demonstrate the wave-like nature of light?

The experiment shows that when light passes through the two slits, it creates an interference pattern on the screen behind them. This pattern is only possible if light behaves like a wave, with the peaks and troughs of the wave interfering constructively and destructively with each other.

3. Can Young's Double Slit Experiment be performed with other types of waves?

Yes, the experiment can be performed with any type of wave, not just light. This includes sound waves, water waves, and even quantum particles such as electrons.

4. What factors affect the interference pattern in Young's Double Slit Experiment?

The interference pattern is affected by the wavelength of the light, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. It is also influenced by the number of slits and the intensity of the light.

5. What implications does Young's Double Slit Experiment have for our understanding of light and wave-particle duality?

The experiment showed that light can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, depending on how it is observed. This led to the development of the wave-particle duality theory, which states that light and other particles can possess both wave-like and particle-like properties.