Finding the Sum of Convergent Series t^(-n^2) for n=1 to ∞

In summary, the conversation is about finding the sum of a convergent series, represented by S, and the difficulty in solving it due to the use of a Jacobi theta function. The person asking the question is a math tutor who is struggling to find a solution for their student's problem, which involves a series of numbers with an unknown pattern.
nipunmalhotra
what is the sum of the following series? I know it's convergent (using ratio test) but I'm not able to work it out :(
S=t^(-1) + t^(-4)+t^(-9)...t^(k^2)...to ∞
where t>1
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
S = [θ3(1/t)-1]/2, where θ3 is a Jacobi theta function. I strongly suspect S is transcendental for integer t, but couldn't easily find a good reference, nor a convincing argument.

Hey everyone
Im a maths tutor and this question was given to one of my students. i may be thinking about it to cryptically so i thought id post it

5,9,13 ,27,,,217

i have posted it to various other pupils but no one has gotten it yet.

1. What is a convergent series?

A convergent series is a mathematical series in which the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you find the sum of a convergent series?

The sum of a convergent series can be found by using a specific formula, such as the geometric series formula or the telescoping series formula.

3. What is the formula for finding the sum of the series t^(-n^2)?

The formula for finding the sum of the series t^(-n^2) is given by S = t^(-1) + t^(-4) + t^(-9) + ... + t^(-n^2), where n = 1 to ∞.

4. Can the sum of a convergent series be negative?

No, the sum of a convergent series cannot be negative. A convergent series must approach a finite value, which means it cannot have a negative sum.

5. What is the significance of finding the sum of the series t^(-n^2) for n=1 to ∞?

The sum of the series t^(-n^2) for n=1 to ∞ can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating probabilities in statistical models or determining the stability of a system in physics.