Recommendation for a good desk?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good quality desk for prolonged periods of study. The person is looking for a desk with plenty of space to support a laptop, printer/scanner, monitor, textbooks, keyboard/mouse, notebooks, and leg room. They have found that most desks available online or in stores have limited space and leg room, with the exception of expensive office desks. Other options mentioned include IKEA, thrift and used furniture stores, and online shops.
bluefuzz
Hi all,

Every now and again I make my way to these forums, and I finally have a question/discussion I'd like to start. Can anyone provide some recommendations on a good, quality desk for prolonged periods of study?

I am looking for something with lots of space, i.e. it can support:

1. laptop
  2. small printer/scanner
  3. computer monitor (LCD)
  4. additional room on sides of monitor for placing additional textbooks
  5. keyboard/mouse (slide out is ok)
  6. 2-3 open textbooks at a time, including...
  7. open notebook for work
  8. scrap paper for calculations
  9. and of course leg room

At school, the large rectangular tables in the library are best. I sometimes use the entire surface. So in essence, I need a large table with drawers attached, which seems like a redundant way of saying I'm looking for a desk. The problem is most "desks" I come across online or in stores are mind baffling. They have very little leg room and very little space to do work. I can't imagine someone wanting to work at one of these for more than 30 minutes.

The only ones that seem to be useful are expensive office desks. I'd like to think there is some midway point between the two.

Anyone else run into this predicament and find a worthwhile purchase? Anyone really like their desk and can recall where they got it from and for how much?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No drawers but plenty of space - IKEA. My wife's desk can serve as an emergency landing pad for helicopters.

Peruse thrift and used furniture stores. You can probably find a fine office desk that would be un-affordable new.

jim hardy said:
Peruse thrift and used furniture stores. You can probably find a fine office desk that would be un-affordable new.

Also another place to look is anywhere if there is an office block being cleared out as quite often, especially government places, the stuff is just chucked. My mum got a set of desks for her office for nothing from the office that where being cleared out at the back of where her current office is.

My wife's employer decided to get rid of surplus equipment recently. Metal-framed desks, metal-framed padded office chairs, racks for files, Rolodexes, etc. Just take them away at no cost.

Consider an L shaped desk and a rolling chair maybe. I like a nice glass desk.

bluefuzz said:
At school, the large rectangular tables in the library are best. I sometimes use the entire surface. So in essence, I need a large table with drawers attached, which seems like a redundant way of saying I'm looking for a desk.
I have the same requirements and the way I am currently handling it is to have a large table but a completely separate chest of drawers that I keep off to the side. I found this chest of drawers at the swap meet, and it's non-standard. It's 25 1/2 inches high and has 5 equal sized drawers in it. It fits under the table, but I decided I wanted the leg room and so set it off to the side.

Borek said:
No drawers but plenty of space - IKEA. My wife's desk can serve as an emergency landing pad for helicopters.

For a studentn IKEA is real smart. There are some real nice companies that make quality desks, but they can run into the thousands.

jim hardy said:

I have one more suggestion for search fine office desk. Suggestion is online shops, Now a days internet provide lots of online furniture shopping websites. This types of websites are very profitable because online shopping sites provide discounts.

1. What are the important factors to consider when choosing a good desk?

When looking for a good desk, there are several factors to consider, such as the size and shape of the desk, the material it is made of, the storage options it offers, and the overall design and style.

2. Is it better to have a standing or sitting desk?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and your work habits. Standing desks offer the benefit of being more ergonomic and can help with posture and reducing back pain. However, sitting desks may be more comfortable for longer periods and offer more storage options.

3. What type of material is best for a desk?

The best material for a desk depends on your needs and budget. Wood desks are durable and offer a classic look, while metal desks are more modern and often more affordable. Laminate desks are also a popular and budget-friendly option.

4. How do I know if a desk is the right size for my space?

Measure the area where you plan to place the desk and make sure to leave enough room for a chair and any other necessary items. Also, consider the size of the desk in relation to the size of your room - a large desk may overwhelm a small space.

5. Are there any specific features I should look for in a desk?

Some important features to consider are the desk's height and adjustability, the number of drawers and storage options, and any additional features such as a keyboard tray or built-in power outlets. It's also important to consider the durability and sturdiness of the desk.