Rectangle and set of points

In summary, the conversation discusses a geometry problem involving a rectangle, where the set of points must have a specific sum of distance lines. The solution is an octagon formed by dividing the exterior of the rectangle into 8 sections and finding an equation for each section.
Numeriprimi
I found one interesting example...

We have a rectangle ABCD with his perimeter o. Where is the set of points when their (for each point) sum of distance lines AB, BC, CD, DA is 2/3o ?

I tried it, but geometric problems is quite hard for me and I don't know how do it. So, have you got any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Numeriprimi said:
Where is the set of points when their (for each point) sum of distance lines AB, BC, CD, DA is 2/3o ?

Sorry, Numeriprimi, I don't understand. :confused:

I think the problem is to identify the set of points X such that
[itex] d(X,AB)+d(X,BC)+d(X,CD)+d(X,DA)= \frac{2}{3}*\text{Perimeter of Rectangle ABCD}.[/itex]
The distances on the left hand side are lengths of perpendiculars dropped from the point X to the corresponding line. For example, if X lies inside the interior, then the left hand side would equal (1/2) the perimeter. So the locus cannot include points inside the rectangle. Without doing an explicit calculation, I bet the answer is an octogon.

Sorry for my English... And Vargo, yes, I mean this, thanks for wrote it in better form :-)

Thanks, Vargo! :smile:

Numeriprimi, divide the exterior of the rectangle into 8 sections (by extending the sides),

and consider each section separately …

you should be able to find an easy equation for each section. :wink:

(and yes, it's an octagon!)

1. What is a rectangle and set of points?

A rectangle is a two-dimensional shape with four sides and four right angles. A set of points refers to a collection of individual points, each with a specific location on a coordinate plane.

2. How can a rectangle be defined using a set of points?

A rectangle can be defined using two points: the upper left corner and the lower right corner. These two points determine the length and width of the rectangle, as well as its position on the coordinate plane.

3. What is the relationship between a rectangle and a set of points?

A rectangle is composed of a set of points that are connected by straight lines. The set of points defines the boundaries and interior of the rectangle, while the rectangle gives structure and form to the set of points.

4. How can a set of points be used to calculate the perimeter of a rectangle?

The perimeter of a rectangle can be calculated by adding together the lengths of all four sides. A set of points can be used to determine the coordinates of the rectangle's corners, which can then be used to calculate the length and width of each side.

5. Can a set of points determine the area of a rectangle?

Yes, a set of points can be used to determine the area of a rectangle. The coordinates of the rectangle's corners can be used to calculate the length and width of the rectangle, which can then be multiplied to find the total area.