Gas in a gallon of hydrogen

by GTeclips
Tags: gallon, hydrogen
GTeclips
Feb19-13, 06:39 PM
P: 23
Hello.

I'm just wondering how many cubic feet of gaseous hydrogen are in one gallon of liquid hydrogen. I know I'm not being too specific and that many variables are involved (temperature, atmospheric pressure... etc), but approximately how many are in a gallon? And yes, I have checked Google. I have found nothing useful.

I wish to perform small scale experiments with hydrogen as a lifting gas in small balloons, in case you're curious.

Sorry for not using metric, I'm used to U.S.

Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
New, more versatile version of Geckskin: Gecko-like adhesives now useful for real world surfaces
Researcher develops novel wastewater treatment fabric
Ygggdrasil
Feb19-13, 07:41 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,342
Well, the density of liquid hydrogen is 67.80 kg/m. From this value, you can find the number of moles of hydrogen in a gallon of liquid hydrogen, and from that number you can calculate the volume of gaseous hydrogen at your specified temperature and pressure.
chemisttree
Feb20-13, 12:39 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
Without being too precise, there about 4L per gallon. Each mole of hydrogen (2g) should produce about 23 L of gas or 5.5 gal. You will need to determine the volume in cubic feet per gallon.

Register to reply