Euler sum of positive integers = -1/12

In summary, the argument for alternating series relies on a previous result that the sum of 1-2+3-4+… is 1/4. The problem with this argument is that after the four pairs are cancelled, it seems that the remaining four copies are no longer the same. Zeta function regularization can fix this problem.
gabeeisenstei
My question arises in the context of bosonic string theory … calculating the number of dimensions, consistent with Lorentz invariance, one finds a factor that is an infinite sum of mode numbers, i.e. positive integers … but it really goes back to Euler, and his argument that the sum of all positive integers is -1/12. (One gets the same result by evaluating the zeta function at -1, using the formula with Bernoulli numbers; but I don't find that very illuminating.)

This argument depends in turn on a previous result that the sum of 1-2+3-4+… is 1/4. Given that result, I can follow the manipulation into the all-positive result. But I have a problem with the alternating series. I am looking at the argument found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_−_2_+_3_−_4_+_·_·_·

I can follow the shifting out of the 1 and subsequent matching of cancelling pairs amongst the four copies of the series. But my problem is this: after the four pairs are cancelled, it seems that the remaining four copies are no longer the same. The 4th copy has two terms fewer than the 1st, and one fewer than the 2nd and 3rd. Why doesn't that matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to deal with these expressions IS zeta function regularization. Doing that one can be sure that one uses the same trick (regulator) for all expressions. I mean, all these expressions ae ill-defined and there is no a priori reason why different tricks should be compatible.

gabeeisenstei said:
This argument depends in turn on a previous result that the sum of 1-2+3-4+… is 1/4.

In fact, the argument for alternating series is the one you use for superstrings (alternating signs are terms for angular momentum of bosons and fermions, up to a factor 1/2)

Tong gives the zeta function regularization argument in section 2.2.2 and one that seems cleaner in section 4.4.1.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0908.0333

1. What is the Euler sum of positive integers?

The Euler sum of positive integers refers to the sum of all positive integers, from 1 to infinity. It is denoted by the symbol ζ(−1) and has a value of -1/12.

2. How is the Euler sum of positive integers calculated?

The Euler sum of positive integers is calculated using a mathematical technique called zeta function regularization. This involves manipulating the zeta function, which is a mathematical function that is defined for all complex numbers except 1, in order to obtain a finite value for the sum of positive integers.

3. Why is the Euler sum of positive integers equal to -1/12?

The value of -1/12 for the Euler sum of positive integers may seem counterintuitive, but it is a result of the zeta function regularization technique. This technique allows us to extend the definition of the zeta function to negative values, and at the value of -1 we get -1/12 as the sum of positive integers.

4. What is the significance of the Euler sum of positive integers being -1/12?

The Euler sum of positive integers being equal to -1/12 has important implications in fields such as number theory, physics, and string theory. It is used in various mathematical proofs and has been shown to have connections to other mathematical concepts and physical phenomena.

5. Is the Euler sum of positive integers really equal to -1/12?

Despite the seemingly strange value of -1/12, the Euler sum of positive integers is a well-established mathematical concept with rigorous proofs. It has been verified through various mathematical techniques and has been used in many applications. While it may seem counterintuitive, it has been shown to have important mathematical and scientific implications.