I understanding the Fourier components of a square wave

In summary: However, the sum of the first three cosine waves depicted in the figure actually has an amplitude of ##-\frac{1}{3} D_M##. Excellent. Thank you very much, DrClaude.
jeff.berhow
In my physics book there is an example of making a square wave by "simply" summing up a few cosine waves. The book says these first three waves are the first three Fourier components of a square wave, yet when I sum the three wave functions up, I get something way off; as does my calculator.

For example, if we take the easiest case of x = 0, we get the sum of 1, 1/3, and 1/5 equals 1.53m. However, when I look at the plot for the sums, the amplitude seems to be at about 0.9m. That is nowhere near the sum of the three wave functions at zero. This means that I am missing something fundamentally important here. What is it?

Here's a link to the graphs and the example problem. Thanks for your help.

http://i.imgur.com/DrjU0VE.jpg?1

Physics news on Phys.org
They forgot a minus sign: the amplitude of ##D_2## should be ##-\frac{1}{3} D_M##.

Excellent. Thank you very much, DrClaude.

Here is how to relate the amplitude of the cosine waves to the amplitude A of the square wave. For this example, [itex]A = \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex].

[itex]D_1 = \frac{4}{\pi}A cos(kx)[/itex]
[itex]D_2 = -\frac{4}{3\pi}A cos(3kx)[/itex]
[itex]D_2 = \frac{4}{5\pi}A cos(5kx)[/itex]

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sum+of+a+series&a=*C.sum+of+a+series-_*Calculator.dflt-&f2=4%2Fpi++%28-1%29%5Ek%2F%282k+%2B+1%29&x=5&y=6&f=Sum.sumfunction_4%2Fpi++%28-1%29%5Ek%2F%282k+%2B+1%29&f3=0&f=Sum.sumlowerlimit_0&f4=infinity&f=Sum.sumupperlimit_infinity&a=*FVarOpt.1-_**-.***Sum.sumvariable---.*--

If are curious how this can be found:
[itex]a_n = \frac{2}{T} \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} f(x)cos\left(2\pi \frac{n}{T} x\right)dx[/itex]
Where f(x) is the square wave. We observe that the square wave is symmetric across x=0, so we integrate from 0 to T/2, and multiply by 2.
[itex]a_n = \frac{4}{T} \int_{0}^{T/2} f(x)cos\left(2\pi \frac{n}{T} x\right)dx[/itex]
We split this up into two integrals for the positive an negative portions. The square wave is +A in the positive portion and -A in the negative portion.
[itex]a_n = \frac{4}{T}\int_{0}^{T/4} A cos\left(2\pi \frac{n}{T} x\right)dx - \frac{4}{T}\int_{T/4}^{T/2} A cos\left(2\pi \frac{n}{T} x\right)dx [/itex]

[itex]a_n = \left. \frac{4}{T}\frac{T}{2\pi n} A sin\left(2\pi \frac{n}{T} x\right) \right|_{0}^{T/4} - \left. \frac{4}{T}\frac{T}{2\pi n} A sin\left(2\pi \frac{n}{T} x\right)\right|_{T/4}^{T/2} [/itex]
[itex]a_n = \frac{2}{\pi n}A \left[sin \left( \frac{\pi n }{2}\right) - 0 - sin\left(\pi n\right) + sin\left(\frac{\pi n }{2}\right) \right] = \frac{4}{\pi n}Asin \left( \frac{\pi n }{2}\right) - \frac{2}{\pi n}Asin\left(\pi n\right) [/itex]
The second term is always zero, since n is an integer, and thus [itex]sin\left(\pi n\right) = 0[/itex]
[itex]a_n = \frac{4}{\pi n}A sin \left( \frac{\pi n }{2}\right) [/itex]
[itex]a_n = 0, \frac{4A}{\pi}, 0, -\frac{4A}{3\pi}, 0, \frac{4A}{5\pi}, 0 , ... [/itex]

Notice that only the terms with odd n are non-zero. Also, the sign alternates every odd term.

Edit: I have fixed this to show a square wave for any amplitude A. For the square wave in this example, [itex]A = \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]

Last edited:
MisterX said:
Actually all three have the wrong amplitude. They should be multiplied by [itex]\frac{4}{\pi}[/itex], in addition to the second one being negated.
If you look carefully at the figure, you will see that the square wave being approximated has an amplitude of ##\pi/2##, so there is no missing ##4/\pi## factor.

DrClaude said:
If you look carefully at the figure, you will see that the square wave being approximated has an amplitude of ##\pi/2##, so there is no missing ##4/\pi## factor.

Oops, somehow I assumed it was supposed to have an amplitude of [itex]D_M[/itex]. The depicted square wave does seem to have an amplitude of about ##\pi/4##, or in other words a ##\pi/2## peak-to-peak amplitude.

1. What is a Fourier component?

A Fourier component is a mathematical representation of a periodic function, such as a square wave, in terms of sine and cosine waves of different frequencies. These components are used to break down a complex signal into simpler components that are easier to analyze and understand.

2. How are Fourier components calculated?

Fourier components are calculated using a mathematical tool called the Fourier transform. This involves finding the amplitude and frequency of the sine and cosine waves that make up the given function. The Fourier transform can be done manually or using computer software.

3. What do the Fourier components of a square wave represent?

The Fourier components of a square wave represent the different frequencies that make up the square wave. Each component has a specific amplitude and frequency, and when added together, they create the square wave shape.

4. Why is understanding Fourier components important?

Understanding Fourier components is important because it allows us to analyze and manipulate complex signals in a simpler way. It is also essential in fields such as signal processing, image and sound processing, and communication systems.

5. How does the number of Fourier components affect the accuracy of the representation?

The more Fourier components used, the more accurate the representation of the square wave will be. However, using too few components can result in a distorted or incomplete representation. It is important to find a balance between accuracy and computational efficiency when choosing the number of components to use.