What does it mean that acid is produced from ____ by bacteria?

In summary, the conversation discusses the production of acid by Streptococcus thermophilis from glucose but not from glycerol. It is unclear whether this distinction affects the bacteria's ability to survive on glycerol. The individual is also asking for resources that can provide information on the chemical pathways present in a particular bacterial species.
HOMO
What does it mean that "acid is produced from ____" by bacteria?

I've identified a bacteria (specifically stephococcus thermophilis) and am using Bergey’s Manual® of Systematic Bacteriology to learn more about it. The manual states S. Thermophilis produces acid from glucose, but not from glycerol and I'm wondering exactly what this means?

Does it mean that s. thermophilis can survive on glucose but not on glycerol? Or is it mearly a test to differentiate between bacteria and does not have anything to do with what the bacteria survive on?

On another note is there a website or book out there that if I know what bacterial species I'm working with, it will tell me what chemical pathways are present (ie gluconeogenesis, glycolysis).

I'm trained as a chemist so please forgive me if my question is trivial.

Biology news on Phys.org
That distinction doesn't mean that it can't survive on glycerol. It means that the pathways present create acidic byproducts from glucose but not glycerol.

1. What is the process by which bacteria produce acid?

The process by which bacteria produce acid is called fermentation. During fermentation, bacteria break down sugars and other carbohydrates in a process that releases energy and produces acid as a byproduct.

2. What types of bacteria are responsible for producing acid?

There are several types of bacteria that are capable of producing acid, including Lactobacillus, Streptococcus, and Escherichia coli. These bacteria are commonly found in the gut and are important for digestion and maintaining a healthy balance of microorganisms in the body.

3. What are the effects of acid produced by bacteria?

The effects of acid produced by bacteria can vary depending on the type of bacteria and the location in which it is produced. In the gut, acid produced by bacteria can aid in digestion and help prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. However, in other areas such as the mouth, acid produced by bacteria can contribute to tooth decay and cavities.

4. How can acid produced by bacteria be harmful?

While acid produced by bacteria can have beneficial effects in certain contexts, it can also be harmful in others. For example, in the case of dental plaque, acid produced by bacteria can erode tooth enamel and lead to cavities. In the case of stomach ulcers, the overproduction of acid by certain bacteria can damage the lining of the stomach and cause discomfort or even bleeding.

5. Can acid produced by bacteria be used for any practical purposes?

Yes, acid produced by bacteria can have several practical uses in various industries. For example, Lactobacillus bacteria are used in the production of yogurt and other fermented foods. Additionally, some types of bacteria can be used to produce acids that are used in industrial processes, such as in the production of plastics and biofuels.