Calculating Integrals with Tricky Substitutions

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral of e^x divided by (1+e^-x)^2 from negative infinity to m using the substitution u=1+e^-x. After making a mistake in the original equation, the correct solution is found by taking the ln of both sides and solving for m. The conversation concludes with the student admitting their mistake and thanking the expert for their help.
happyg1
hi,
I'm working on thiis:
[tex].25 = \int_{-\infty}^m\frac{e^{x}}{(1+e^{-x})^2}dx[/tex]
I let [tex]u=1+e^{-x} , du=-e{-x}dx[/tex]
which gives:
[tex]\frac{1}{u}=\frac{1}{1+e^{-x}}|_{-\infty}^m[/tex]
then I solve it out and I get
[tex]\frac{1}{1+e^{-m}}-1=.25[/tex]
I have tried to solve this and I keep getting a negative ln. I moved the 1 to the RHS and then took ln of both sides. I can't get it to work.
help
CC

Physics news on Phys.org
But you don't have an e-x in the numerator. Try multiplying the top and bottom by e2x, then using the substitution u=1+ex, which will leave you with something like (u-1) to some power divided by u2.

By the way, there is no solution to the equation you mention at the end since 1/(1+ex)<1 for any real x.

ok
Statusx, you are absolutely correct. I have forgotten my - sign. It should read

[tex].25 = \int_{-\infty}^m\frac{e^{-x}}{(1+e^{-x})^2}dx[/tex]
sorry...
then let

[tex]u=1+e^{-x} , du=-e^{-x}dx[/tex]
which gives
[tex]\frac{1}{1+e^{-m}}-1=.25[/tex]
so then you get
[tex]\frac{1}{1+e^{-m}}=1.25[/tex]
from there I took to ln of both sides and tried to solve for m, but nothing is working out.
CC

then,
[tex]1=1.25+1.25e^{-m}[/tex]
then
[tex]-.2=e^{-m}[/tex]
ln makes no sense
CC

It makes no sense because you've been sloppy! :grumpy:
We have:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{m}\frac{e^{-x}dx}{(1+e^{-x})^{2}}=\frac{1}{1+e^{-x}}\mid_{-\infty}^{m}=\frac{1}{1+e^{-m}}-\frac{1}{1+e^{\infty}}=\frac{1}{1+e^{-m}}[/tex]

der duh der duh
[tex]\frac{1}{e^{-{-\infty}}}=0[/tex]
I am a sloppy, sloppy student.:redface:
I'm all good now.
Thanks

1. What is integral calculation?

Integral calculation, also known as integration, is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve on a graph. It involves finding the anti-derivative of a function and evaluating it within a given range.

2. Why is integral calculation important?

Integral calculation is important because it allows us to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as finding the distance traveled by an object given its velocity or determining the amount of a substance in a chemical reaction.

3. How do I solve an integral?

The first step in solving an integral is to identify the function and its limits of integration. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to solve the integral. Practice and understanding of these techniques are key to solving integrals effectively.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value as the result. On the other hand, an indefinite integral has no limits and gives a general solution in terms of a constant.

5. Are there any tips for solving integrals more efficiently?

One tip for solving integrals efficiently is to familiarize yourself with common integrals and their corresponding anti-derivatives. Additionally, practicing regularly and breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts can also help in solving them more efficiently.