Can Pthreads Guarantee Exclusive CPU Assignment for Each Thread?

In summary, The conversation discusses assigning threads to processors and the possibility of shifting jobs between processors. It also asks for reference links for threading in C. The methods of using pthread_processor_bind_np() and cthreads_thread_alloc(...) are mentioned as ways to assign threads to specific processors, while also mentioning that the specifics may vary depending on the operating system's scheduling algorithm.
noelloen
Hi,

First question is:
I want to assign 8 threads to 8 processors (must one to one), when I initialize the thread, does it guarantee that each CPU has one thread?
or there can be some case such that 4 threads on one process and other 4 thread on 4 processors and 3 processors have no threads at all?

Second question is:
For instance, one processor has 4 jobs running, is it possible to shift 2 of them to other processors? using IPC stuffs? or other methods?

For the above questions, is there any reference links that I can visit?
I am new to threading. Thanks ahead to anyone answer my questions.

Technology news on Phys.org
In C, using Posix threads, you can use pthread_processor_bind_np() to associate a thread to a specific processor. Using cthreads it's something like cthreads_thread_alloc(..., node) where node is the processor to run on.
If you don't specify, then the thread will probably run on a processor chosen depending on the OS scheduling algorithm i would imagine.

Hi there,

To answer your first question, yes, when you initialize 8 threads and assign them to 8 processors, it is guaranteed that each CPU will have one thread. This is because the POSIX pthread library implements a one-to-one mapping between threads and processors. This means that each thread is bound to a specific processor and will only run on that processor.

Regarding your second question, it is possible to shift jobs from one processor to another using interprocess communication (IPC) mechanisms. This allows for communication between different processes running on different processors. There are also other methods for distributing jobs among processors, such as task scheduling algorithms.

As for reference links, some useful resources for learning about threading and multiprocessing in general are:

- The POSIX Threads Programming tutorial: https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/pthreads/
- The Linux man pages for pthreads: https://linux.die.net/man/3/pthread_create
- The book "Programming with POSIX Threads" by David R. Butenhof: https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/programming-with-posix/0201633922/

I hope this helps! Good luck with your threading journey.

1. What is Pthread and how does it relate to multiple CPUs?

Pthread, or POSIX Threads, is a library that allows for parallel programming in a multi-threaded environment. It is commonly used for creating and managing multiple threads of execution within a single process. This is particularly useful for utilizing multiple CPUs, as each thread can be assigned to a different CPU for more efficient processing.

2. Can Pthread be used with any type of CPU?

Yes, Pthread can be used with any type of CPU as long as the operating system supports it. Pthread is a standardized library and is typically available on most modern operating systems, including Windows, Linux, and macOS.

3. How does Pthread handle synchronization between multiple threads?

Pthread provides various synchronization mechanisms, such as mutexes, semaphores, and condition variables, to ensure that multiple threads access shared resources in a coordinated and safe manner. These mechanisms allow for proper synchronization and prevent data races or other concurrency issues.

4. Is Pthread the only option for utilizing multiple CPUs in parallel programming?

No, there are other libraries and frameworks available for parallel programming, such as OpenMP and MPI. However, Pthread is a popular and widely-used option, especially for multi-threaded applications that need to run on a single machine with multiple CPUs.

5. What are some potential benefits of using Pthread and multiple CPUs in programming?

Utilizing Pthread and multiple CPUs can lead to improved performance and efficiency in processing tasks that can be divided into smaller, parallel subtasks. This can result in faster execution times and the ability to handle larger and more complex datasets. It also allows for better utilization of hardware resources, as multiple CPUs can work on different parts of a problem simultaneously.