Diffraction of Light: θ and λ Relationship

In summary, the conversation discussed an interactive JAVA applet demonstrating the diffraction of light through a slit and the associated equation sin θ = λ/d. The question was raised about the relationship between θ and λ when there is no slit, and the conversation moved on to the topic of optics and using Google to find information on Fraunhofer and Fresnel diffraction with circular or rectangular apertures and knife edge. The conversation ended with a request for an approximate equation for knife edge diffraction and an appreciation for any information that could be provided.
BigMonkey
Good day,

I happened across an interesting interactive JAVA applet demonstrating the diffraction of light through a slit. (http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/diffraction/basicdiffraction/index.html" ) Associated with it was the equation,

sin θ = λ/d

where d is the width of the slit.

My question is, what is the relationship of the θ to λ when there is no slit, i.e., the wave is diffraction around a object in the path of the wavefront?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Hey, if you guys can write lengthy responses on the equations of Maxwell, this should be a cake walk!

:smile:

Who's up for some optics!?

In the spirit of the "teach a man to fish" saying... :wink:

Pick one phrase from list A and one phrase from list B, and Google on the combination:

list A:
"Fraunhofer diffraction"
"Fresnel diffraction"

list B:
"circular aperture"
"rectangular aperture"
"knife edge"

And for good measure, Google on "Poisson spot".

I honestly don't have the time to devote to sifting through articles, dissertations, and poorly maintained university demonstrations just to find an approximate equation for something as common as knife edge diffraction.

Some of the equations that I do see make me shudder (particularly the ones on the Wolfram site). You see, my math only progressed to low-level calculus.

Should anyone happen to crack open a physics book in the next week or so and find something, please post it.

I appreciate the info, though.

1. What is diffraction of light?

Diffraction of light is the bending of light waves around an obstacle or through an opening. This phenomenon occurs when light waves encounter an obstruction that is similar in size to their wavelength.

2. How is the angle of diffraction related to the wavelength of light?

The angle of diffraction (θ) is directly proportional to the wavelength (λ) of light. This means that as the wavelength increases, the angle of diffraction also increases. This relationship is described by the equation θ = sin^-1(λ/d), where d is the size of the obstruction or opening.

3. What is the significance of the relationship between θ and λ in diffraction of light?

The relationship between θ and λ is significant because it allows us to predict the amount of diffraction that will occur when light waves encounter an obstruction or opening. This relationship also helps us understand the behavior of light and its interactions with matter.

4. How does the size of the obstruction or opening affect the diffraction of light?

The size of the obstruction or opening directly affects the amount of diffraction that occurs. As the size of the obstruction or opening increases, the angle of diffraction decreases. This is because larger obstructions or openings allow for more light waves to pass through without being affected by diffraction.

5. Can diffraction of light be observed in everyday life?

Yes, diffraction of light can be observed in everyday life. For example, when you see colorful patterns on a CD or DVD, this is due to the diffraction of light. The light waves are diffracted as they pass through the tiny grooves on the disc's surface, creating the colorful patterns. Diffraction can also be observed when you see a rainbow, which is caused by the diffraction of sunlight through water droplets in the atmosphere.