How Do You Calculate Line Current for Different Connections in a 3 Phase Line?

In summary, for a. R and L are connected in series and in wye configuration, resulting in identical and independent line currents in each leg. For b. R and L are connected in parallel and in delta configuration, and can be solved using Wye-Delta transformations or phase angle differences.
scorpio_wan1945
3 x 15Ohm resistor (R) and 3 x 3.83 mH reactors (L) are connected in different ways across a 500V, 3 phase line. without drawing a phasor diagram, calculate the line current for each of the following connections:

a. R and L in series, connected in wye

b. R and L in parallel, connected in delta

i have difficulty in starting to solve...anyone could shed some light here?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in -a-, you just have a 15 Ohm resistor in series with a 3.83mH inductor from each phase to Neutral, right? It seems that the current in each leg would be identical and independent...

For -b-, you can look first at Wye-Delta transformations,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-delta_transform

or you could solve it using the phase angle differences...

for your question. In order to calculate the line current for each of the given connections, we will need to use Ohm's Law and the formula for calculating the impedance of a series and parallel circuit. Let's start by defining some variables:

R = 15Ohm resistor
L = 3.83 mH reactor
V = 500V
I = line current

a. R and L in series, connected in wye:
In this configuration, the total impedance (Z) can be calculated as the sum of the individual impedances:

Z = R + jωL
where j is the imaginary unit and ω is the angular frequency.

Since the components are connected in series, the line current is the same as the total current (I = I1 = I2 = I3).

To calculate the line current, we can use the formula:

I = V/Z

Substituting the values, we get:

I = 500V / (15Ohm + jω*3.83 mH)

To simplify the calculation, we can convert the inductance to ohms by using the formula:

ωL = jXl
where Xl is the inductive reactance.

Substituting the value of Xl, we get:

I = 500V / (15Ohm + j*2π*60Hz*3.83 mH)
= 500V / (15Ohm + j0.457Ohm)
= 500V / (15Ohm - j0.457Ohm)
= 500V / (15.003Ohm ∠-1.73°)

Using the polar form of the impedance, we can calculate the magnitude and phase angle of the impedance as:

|Z| = √(15.003^2 + 0.457^2) = 15.01Ohm
θ = tan^-1(0.457/15.003) = 1.73°

Therefore, the line current can be calculated as:

I = 500V / (15.01Ohm ∠1.73°)
= 33.3A ∠-1.73°

b. R and L in parallel, connected in delta:
In this configuration, the total impedance (Z) can be calculated as:

1/Z = 1/R + 1/jωL

Using the same approach as before, we can

What is Power Electronics?

Power Electronics is a branch of electrical engineering that deals with the conversion, control, and management of electric power. It involves the design, analysis, and optimization of devices and systems that use electric power as the main source of energy.

What are the applications of Power Electronics?

Power Electronics has a wide range of applications, including renewable energy systems, electric vehicles, industrial motor drives, power supplies, and many more. It is also used in various electronic devices such as laptops, smartphones, and household appliances.

What are the key components of a power electronic system?

The key components of a power electronic system include power semiconductor devices such as diodes, transistors, and thyristors, as well as passive components like capacitors and inductors. Control circuitry, heat sinks, and cooling systems are also important components.

What are the advantages of using power electronics?

Power Electronics offers several advantages, including higher efficiency, better control and regulation of power, improved reliability, and reduced size and weight of systems. It also allows for the integration of renewable energy sources and the reduction of energy consumption.

What are the current challenges in power electronics?

Some of the current challenges in power electronics include improving the efficiency of power conversion, reducing the size and cost of components, and developing more reliable and durable systems. Another challenge is the integration of power electronics with other technologies, such as communication systems and energy storage devices.