Math Career Choice: Minor in Finance or More Math Classes?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice from mathematicians regarding their career choices for the next few years. They are currently in their third year of a math program and minoring in finance, but are interested in pursuing a Master's in Financial Mathematics. They are wondering if their minor in finance would be beneficial or if they should focus on taking more math classes. The conversation also touches on the opinions of mathematicians on finance and the existence of financial mathematics as a degree.
rad0786
Math - Career Choice??

Hi,

I was wondering if the mathematicans on the forums could help me out with my choices for the next few years?? (i am going to speak to my undergrad counciler in a few weeks)..

I am starting 3rd year Math (CORE programme) in September. I am also Minoring in Finance (Commerce Department).

In the Future I want to go to grad school for Financial Mathematics!

Would my minor in finance play a really good role? I could ditch the minor and pick up more undergrad math classes...

So my question is is it worthwhile to take a Minor in Finance or take more undergrad math classes TOO prepare me for an a Master in Mathematical Finance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to work in research or for, eg., an investment bank?

Nope... I want to do a Masters in Financal Math... and I was wondering if a Minor in Finance would be worth doing...

In the far future, I hope to pass all actuary exams and work as an actuary.

rad0786 said:
Hi,

I was wondering if the mathematicans on the forums could help me out with my choices for the next few years?? (i am going to speak to my undergrad counciler in a few weeks)..

well, we might not be the best people to ask, since by and large we have no interest in finance, or mathematical finance or economics (and we seem, on the whole, to find the whole thing a little bit silly - pushing money around to make money does not appeal to our vocational souls; we're earning a pittance in the public sector when far less intelligent people are making their fortunes for a reason, though that might depend on your definition of intelligence I suppose...)

I am starting 3rd year Math (CORE programme) in September. I am also Minoring in Finance (Commerce Department).

I had no idea such a thing even existed.

rad0786 said:
Hi,

Would my minor in finance play a really good role? I could ditch the minor and pick up more undergrad math classes...

So my question is is it worthwhile to take a Minor in Finance or take more undergrad math classes TOO prepare me for an a Master in Mathematical Finance?

I agree with Matt's analysis, that a large body on here are interested in science, not finance, but I still have an opinion:

I think minoring in finance would be a bit redundant when you're doing Mathematical Finance. On the other hand, trying a minor in economy or game theory or even business psychology might provide some interesting insight into the roles of mathematical finance (whatever that is).

I'm only assuming subtly in my subconscious what mathematical finance is though, so I may be 'zooming out' too much from your interests

matt grime said:
well, we might not be the best people to ask, since by and large we have no interest in finance, or mathematical finance or economics (and we seem, on the whole, to find the whole thing a little bit silly - pushing money around to make money does not appeal to our vocational souls; we're earning a pittance in the public sector when far less intelligent people are making their fortunes for a reason, though that might depend on your definition of intelligence I suppose...)

what a terrible generalization about the finance inudstry, and the intellegence of the people in it. I am not reading about your noteworthy causes in the physcs papers...

I did point out that we might not be the people to consult for a reasoned opinion about the subject. Mathematicians on the whole have quite strong opinions about these things, some reasonable, some not so, but ask and we shall tell. The thought of solving pdes or writing computer algorithms to help stupidly rich companies become even more stupidly rich is not one that seems to appeal to many (research) mathematicians I know: that is why we're doing research. Almost all of us have had the offers to become quant analysts or, heaven forfend, accountants, and turned them down to do something else. Perhaps you would have preferred (as perhaps would I, I think) if I'd've used 'less mathematically able' than 'intelligent'.

Last edited:
matt grime said:
I had no idea such a thing even existed.

it exists for example at university in chicago.
financial mathematic is a goal of mine too. I am in the same situation as you do too. I am a third year student in a US school.

as far as i know, this degree would like you to have working experience in financial industry. Basic knowledge of accounting and finance is recommanded by most good school. This degree is very similar to operational research, and computational finance. Also, this is a professional degree in most school just like MBA, it would be nicer if you obtain your MS degree in academia. post what classes you ahve taken, I can give you my OPINION, not experience tho:frown:

Last edited:
if we didn't feel smarter than people in finance, we would be miserable looking at their average salaries!

in my dads old joke book there was some exchange between a wise acre hobo and a rich man like: "if you are so smart, why arent you rich?"

"well if you are so rich, why aint you smart?":tongue2:

1. Should I choose a minor in finance or take more math classes for a math career?

Choosing between a minor in finance and more math classes depends on your career goals and interests. If you are interested in a career in finance or business, a minor in finance can provide you with valuable knowledge and skills in that field. However, if you are more interested in pursuing a career in mathematics or related fields, taking more math classes can help you develop a strong foundation and advanced skills in mathematics.

2. How will a minor in finance benefit my math career?

A minor in finance can benefit your math career by providing you with a broader skill set and making you a more well-rounded candidate. It can also open up opportunities for careers in finance or related fields, such as data analysis and financial modeling. Additionally, the knowledge gained from a minor in finance can complement your math skills and make you a more competitive candidate for math-related jobs.

3. Will taking more math classes be more beneficial for my math career?

Taking more math classes can be beneficial for your math career by allowing you to develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. It can also prepare you for more advanced and specialized fields within mathematics, such as statistics or theoretical mathematics. However, it may not be as directly applicable to careers in finance or business as a minor in finance would be.

4. Can I do both a minor in finance and take more math classes?

Yes, it is possible to do both a minor in finance and take more math classes. However, it may require careful planning and time management to balance the workload of both. It is important to consider your priorities and career goals in making this decision.

5. How can I decide which option is best for me?

The best way to decide between a minor in finance and more math classes is to consider your career goals, interests, and strengths. Research the job market and requirements for the specific careers you are interested in. You can also speak with a career advisor or professionals in the field for their insights and advice. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what will best prepare you for your desired career path.