Where can I find a book on modulation schemes like OFDM, QAM, and DPSK?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book that covers both basic and advanced modulation schemes, such as OFDM, QAM, DPSK, GMSK, FSK, etc. The suggested books are "Introduction to Communication Systems" by Ferrel Stremler and "Communication Systems" by Simon Haykin. Both books cover similar topics, including orthogonality, Fourier transform, power spectral density, and various types of modulation. The first edition of Stremler's book is recommended, but it is suggested to check the second edition for updates and additions. The third edition of Haykin's book is also recommended for its well-written content.
dervast
Hello to everyone i am looking for a book dedicated to the modulation schemes. I want to read about the basics but also more advanced modulation schemes such as OFDM,QAM,DPSK etc
Do u know any book or url that i can find the information i need?

Engineering news on Phys.org
My old text was "Introduction to Communication Systems" by Ferrel Stremler.

Thx a lot what modulation schemes explained? I need a book that includes almost everything from modulation schemes... old and the newest ones.
Thx for your time

I have the older 1st edition of Stremler. I don't know if much got added or updated in the 2nd edition:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201184982/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Here's the contents of the 1st edition:

1 -- Intro
2 -- Orthogonality and Signal Representations
3 -- Fourier Transform and Applications
4 -- Power Spectral Density
5 -- Ampl Modulation (AM, FDM, SSB)
6 -- Angle Mod (FM, PM)
7 -- Pulse Mod (PAM, TDM, PWM, PPM, PCM)
8 -- Probability and Random Variables
9 -- Information and Digital Transmission (BW vs. SNR, PCM vs. optimum)
Appendices (math tables, broadcast band info, erf, preemphasis systems, Bessel functions, etc.)

EDIT -- I'd guess he's added at least CDM in the 2nd edition, but I'm not sure. Maybe check out the book at your local technical library -- they should have a copy.

thx a lot i am also looking for more advanced modulation schemes such as dpsk,gmsk,qam,fsk etc

My text was http://he-cda.wiley.com/WileyCDA/HigherEdTitle/productCd-0471178691,courseCd-E56100.html by Simon Haykin, which I feel was very well written. (I used the 3rd edition). It covered very similar topics as Stremler.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a modulation scheme?

A modulation scheme is a method of encoding information onto a carrier signal in order to transmit it over a communication channel. It involves manipulating certain characteristics of the carrier signal, such as amplitude, frequency, or phase, to represent the information being transmitted.

2. Why are modulation schemes important?

Modulation schemes are important because they allow for efficient and reliable communication over various types of channels. They enable the transmission of information over long distances, through different mediums, and in the presence of noise and interference.

3. What are some common types of modulation schemes?

Some common types of modulation schemes include amplitude modulation (AM), frequency modulation (FM), phase modulation (PM), and quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM). Other examples include pulse amplitude modulation (PAM), phase-shift keying (PSK), and frequency-shift keying (FSK).

4. How do modulation schemes affect data transfer rates?

The choice of modulation scheme can greatly affect the data transfer rate of a communication system. Some schemes, such as QAM, allow for higher data rates by encoding multiple bits of information onto a single symbol. Other schemes, like AM, have lower data rates but are more robust in noisy environments.

5. What are some factors to consider when selecting a modulation scheme?

When selecting a modulation scheme, it is important to consider factors such as the type of channel being used, the desired data transfer rate, the level of noise and interference, and the complexity and cost of implementing the scheme. It is also important to consider compatibility with other systems and the overall reliability and performance of the chosen scheme.