Calculating Acceleration and Tension in a Pulley System

In summary, the problem involves two objects of different masses connected by two strings and two pulleys. The relationship between the accelerations of the two objects is a1=a2. The tension in both strings needs to be determined, along with the acceleration of each block in terms of m1, g, and m2. The floating pulley, P2, does not have an effect on the accelerations or tension. To solve the problem, one needs to determine the acceleration of m1 and the acceleration of P1, taking into account the distance that P1 moves and the fixed length of the string connected to m2.
Warrzie
This one has me clueless. The problem reads:

"An object of mass m1 on a frictionless horizontal table is connected to an object of mass m2 through a very light pulley P1 and a light fixed pulley P2."

It wants me to state the relationship between the accelerations, with a1 and a2 corresponding to m1 and m2 respectively.

It then wants the tension in both strings, and finally the acceleration of each block in terms of m1, g, and m2

I've stared at the attached figure for a while and don't even understand how m2's string is connect to the floating pulley, or if that pulley even has an effect on the accelerations/tension. I want to say that a1=a2 since the blocks are attached to each other.

Any hints?

Attachments

• p4-38.gif
    p4-38.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to put a link to the image instead of an attachment, since these usually don't work.

I've stared at the attached figure for a while and don't even understand how m2's string is connect to the floating pulley, or if that pulley even has an effect on the accelerations/tension. I want to say that a1=a2 since the blocks are attached to each other.
The acceleration of m2 = acceleration of pulley P1. On has to determine the accleration of m1 and the acceleration of P1. When P1 moves (translates) [itex]\Delta{x}[/itex], by what distance does m1 translate? One may assume the string tied to m2 is fixed to the axis of P1 and is of fixed length.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

The relationship between force and acceleration is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive the object, the less its acceleration will be for the same amount of force.

2. What is the unit of force?

The unit of force is the Newton (N), named after Sir Isaac Newton. One Newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

3. How does friction affect force and acceleration?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and acts in the opposite direction of an object's movement. This means that friction can decrease acceleration by reducing the net force acting on an object. For example, when a car's tires grip the road, friction helps it to accelerate. However, if there is too much friction, such as in the case of a car stuck in mud, acceleration will be greatly reduced.

4. Can an object have acceleration without a net force?

No, an object cannot have acceleration without a net force. According to Newton's first law of motion, an object will remain at rest or in a state of constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that if there is no net force acting on an object, it will not accelerate.

5. How can force and acceleration be graphically represented?

Force and acceleration can be graphically represented using a force vs. time graph or an acceleration vs. time graph. In a force vs. time graph, the slope of the line represents the acceleration of an object, while the area under the line represents the change in an object's momentum. In an acceleration vs. time graph, the slope of the line represents the change in an object's velocity, while the area under the line represents the change in an object's displacement.