Double slit experiment and white light

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of colored fringes appearing on either side of the central white fringe when white light is used instead of monochromatic light in an experiment. The reason for this is due to the different wavelengths of light being deviated at different angles when passing through the slits, resulting in different points of maximum or minimum interference. The conversation also confirms the understanding and appreciation of the explanation provided.
Amith2006

Homework Statement

# It is given in my book that if white light is used instead of monochromatic light, the central fringe will be white while there will be coloured fringes on either side of the central fringe. Could anyone please tell me the reason for this? Is it because, due to diffraction at the slits each colour is deviated by different angles? I am not quite sure. Please guide me.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have a book, notice how it explains what causes there to be a "bright fringe." It has to do with the "extra distance" traveled by the light form one of the slits. How much does this extra distance have to be to create a bright fringe? Then, anwser this: different colors of light have different ____________ .

Chi Meson said:
Since you have a book, notice how it explains what causes there to be a "bright fringe." It has to do with the "extra distance" traveled by the light form one of the slits. How much does this extra distance have to be to create a bright fringe? Then, anwser this: different colors of light have different ____________ .

Different colours have different wavelengths.As a result their path difference at points of maxima or minima are different.So points of maxima or minima are different for different colours.Is my reasoning right?

Please say whether I have understood it correctly.

Come on guys!

Sounds good to me.

At last I have got the answer. Thanks.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does the double slit experiment work?

In the double slit experiment, a beam of light is passed through two narrow slits and then projected onto a screen. When the light passes through the slits, it diffracts and creates a pattern of bright and dark bands on the screen, known as an interference pattern. This pattern is caused by the constructive and destructive interference of the light waves.

3. What is the significance of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is significant because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light. It shows that light can behave as both a wave and a particle, depending on how it is observed. This experiment also has implications for understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic level.

4. How does white light affect the double slit experiment?

When white light is used in the double slit experiment, the resulting interference pattern is composed of multiple colors, rather than just a single color. This is because white light is made up of a combination of all visible wavelengths, and each wavelength diffracts differently through the slits.

5. What are some real-world applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has been used in various fields such as optics, electronics, and quantum computing. It has also been used to study the behavior of other particles, such as electrons and atoms. Additionally, the principles of the double slit experiment have been applied in the development of technologies such as holography and diffraction gratings.