What is the mass of the block of ice?

In summary, the Heat Transfer Equation is a mathematical representation of the principles of heat transfer, based on the first law of thermodynamics. It describes the transfer of thermal energy between objects or systems due to a temperature difference. The three modes of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. The equation is derived from the principles of thermodynamics and conservation of energy, taking into account properties of materials, temperature difference, and surface area. The units of measurement vary depending on the situation, but are generally joules per second or watts. The Heat Transfer Equation is used in various practical applications, including designing heating and cooling systems and predicting temperature distribution. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and meteorology to solve complex
chrispsu
im reviewing for my final in a few days an although this is a basic question i can't work out the correct answer for some reason. and i know i started the other thread below this one but i figured this was a different topic so the heading should be different lol

Homework Statement

A heat transfer of 8.8 x 10^5 J is required to convert a block of ice at -13°C to water at 13°C. What was the mass of the block of ice?

Homework Equations

Q=mc(ice)(tf-ti) + mLf + mc(water)(tf-ti)

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried: 8.8x10^5= m(2220)(13) + m(333) + m(4190)(13)
i come out with the 10.52kg which is not correct.
can someone help pinpoint what i am doing something wrong? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
chrispsu said:
i tried: 8.8x10^5= m(2220)(13) + m(333) + m(4190)(13)
Check those numbers. One of them is wrong - it's in the wrong units.

You need to be very careful with your units!

oh ok...the heat of fusion should be 333x10^3...solving it out then i would get 2.11 which is the correct answer. I need to be less careless with my units! lol thanks alot! :D

1. What is the Heat Transfer Equation?

The Heat Transfer Equation is a mathematical representation of the principles of heat transfer, which describes the transfer of thermal energy between two or more objects or systems due to a temperature difference. It is based on the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can be transferred from one form to another.

2. What are the three modes of heat transfer?

The three modes of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid material, convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How is the Heat Transfer Equation derived?

The Heat Transfer Equation is derived from the principles of thermodynamics and the laws of conservation of energy. It takes into account the properties of the materials involved, the temperature difference between them, and the surface area and distance over which the heat is transferred.

4. What are the units of measurement for the Heat Transfer Equation?

The units of measurement for the Heat Transfer Equation depend on the specific situation and the units used for temperature, distance, and time. In general, the units for heat transfer are joules per second (J/s) or watts (W).

5. How is the Heat Transfer Equation used in practical applications?

The Heat Transfer Equation is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as designing heating and cooling systems, predicting the temperature distribution in a material, and understanding the behavior of different materials in extreme temperatures. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and meteorology to solve complex problems related to heat transfer.