Projecting an abstract state onto position/momentum/energy spaces

In summary, the state | \psi (t) \rangle can be written in terms of the position and momentum basis vectors as | \psi (t) \rangle = \left[ \begin{array}{c} \langle \psi_n (x) | \psi(t) \rangle\\\langle \psi_n (p) | \psi(t) \rangle\end{array}\right], where the position and momentum basis vectors are given by \psi_n (x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{h}} \exp{\left( \frac{-ipx}{\hbar}\right)} and \psi_n (p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{h}} \exp
v0id

Homework Statement

Consider the quantum harmonic oscillator in the state [tex]| \psi (t) \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{14}}\left( 3 | 0 \rangle \exp{\left( -\frac{1}{2}i \omega t\right)} + 2 | 1 \rangle \exp{\left( -\frac{3}{2}i \omega t\right)} + | 5 \rangle \exp{\left( -\frac{11}{2}i \omega t\right)} \right)[/tex]. What is [tex]| \psi (t) \rangle[/tex] in terms of the [tex]\psi_n (x)[/tex], [tex]\psi_n (p)[/tex] and [tex]\psi_n (E)[/tex]. Do not evaluate the specific basis vectors.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Phi (p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{h}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi (x) \exp{\left( \frac{-ipx}{\hbar} \right)} \; dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think expansion along the energy space is unnecessary, since the original kets are themselves eigenkets of the Hamiltonian. As for position space, is the Fourier transform [tex]\Psi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{h}} \int_{\infty}^{\infty} | \psi(t) \rangle \exp{\left( \frac{i \omega x}{\hbar}\right)} \; d\omega = \langle \phi | \psi(t) \rangle[/tex], where [tex]| \phi \rangle = \exp{\left( \frac{-i \omega x}{\hbar}\right)}[/tex]?EDIT: Since only projection onto the position-space and momentum-space bases is necessary, would it be prudent to multiply the vector
[tex]
\left[ \begin{array}{c} 3\\
2\\
0\\
0\\
0\\
\end{array}\right]
[/tex]
by the matrix representations of the position and momentum operators respectively?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few things to clarify.

First, the vector you have written is not the correct representation of the state | \psi (t) \rangle in the position basis. The correct representation would be a vector in the position basis, with elements given by the coefficients of the basis vectors in the state | \psi (t) \rangle. So, the correct vector would be:

\left[ \begin{array}{c} \frac{3}{\sqrt{14}} \exp{\left( -\frac{i\omega t}{2}\right)}\\
\frac{2}{\sqrt{14}} \exp{\left( -\frac{3i\omega t}{2}\right)}\\
0\\
0\\
0\\
\frac{1}{\sqrt{14}} \exp{\left( -\frac{11i\omega t}{2}\right)}
\end{array}\right]

Second, when you say "multiply the vector by the matrix representations of the position and momentum operators", I assume you mean taking the inner product between the vector and the matrix representations of the operators. This is correct, but you will need to do this for both position and momentum, and then combine the results to get the full representation of the state in terms of the position and momentum basis. So, your final result would be:

| \psi (t) \rangle = \left[ \begin{array}{c} \langle \psi_n (x) | \psi(t) \rangle\\
\langle \psi_n (p) | \psi(t) \rangle
\end{array}\right]

where \psi_n (x) and \psi_n (p) are the basis vectors in the position and momentum basis, respectively.

What is the purpose of projecting an abstract state onto position/momentum/energy spaces?

The purpose of projecting an abstract state onto position/momentum/energy spaces is to represent the quantum state of a physical system in a more tangible way. This allows for a better understanding and analysis of the system's properties and behaviors.

What is an abstract state in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, an abstract state is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a physical system. It describes the probability of the system being in a certain state and is represented by a vector in a complex vector space.

What are position, momentum, and energy spaces in quantum mechanics?

Position, momentum, and energy spaces are mathematical spaces used to describe the state of a physical system in quantum mechanics. These spaces are represented by different mathematical functions such as position wavefunctions, momentum wavefunctions, and energy eigenfunctions.

How does projecting an abstract state onto position/momentum/energy spaces work?

Projecting an abstract state onto position/momentum/energy spaces involves using mathematical operators to transform the quantum state vector into a wavefunction in the respective space. This allows for the calculation of the probability of the system being in a certain position, momentum, or energy state.

What are the benefits of projecting an abstract state onto position/momentum/energy spaces?

Projecting an abstract state onto position/momentum/energy spaces allows for a more intuitive understanding of the quantum state of a physical system. It also enables the calculation of various physical properties and behaviors, making it a valuable tool for analysis and prediction in quantum mechanics.