Two Body Problem: Exact Solutions?

In summary, it is possible to write down an exact solution, using the current geometric model of space-time, describing two idealized bodies (say two black holes or two stars) of a different mass orbiting each other. However, I don't think it's known whether or not your general solution can be "written down" using standard functions.
MeJennifer
Do you think it is (in principle) possible to write down an exact solution, using the current geometric model of space-time, describing two idealized bodies (say two black holes or two stars) of a different mass orbiting each other?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MeJennifer said:
Do you think it is (in principle) possible to write down an exact solution, using the current geometric model of space-time, describing two idealized bodies (say two black holes or two stars) of a different mass orbiting each other?

If you add in appropriate boundary conditions (such as asymptotic flatness), I'm sure such a time-varying solution exists. Gravitational radiation will prevent a non-timevarying solution, even in an initially corating coordinate system.

Actually, there should be more than one solution - there should be a set of equivalent solutions, an "equivalence class". Example: for the simpler problem of a single body, we have equivalent Schwarzschild and isotropic solutions.

However, I don't think it's known whether or not your general solution can be "written down" using standard functions. I would suspect it probably can't but I can't make any definite statement.

I think the best we can do at present for two bodies are numerical solutions rather than an analytic form. It's surprising really that we still can't properly solve GR for really simple situations like this!

I would guess that in principle is should be possible to do though, I can't think of a reason why a solution couldn't be derived, though I could be wrong.

pervect said:
However, I don't think it's known whether or not your general solution can be "written down" using standard functions.

"standard functions"? But therein lies the trick with "analytic solutions".

We can write the full set of equations and boundary conditions such that their solution is the expression you're interested in. You can then numerically calculate your solution to an arbitrary degree of precision, but you most likely cannot write down the exact solution in terms of the usual standard functions like "cos".

But so what if you could? You can't exactly write the cosine of most numbers anyway: instead you still need to numerically approximate it by estimating the solution to the system of equations that the cosine itself satisfies (and is described by). Why so much fuss over whether your solution can be conveniently expressed by relations to the movement of an ideal pendulum?

In many EM problems you can't write down the field even in terms of the trigonometric functions, but often the solution in one problem can be related clearly to the solution in another problem.. so new functions (Bezel, Airy, etc) were given standard names. By using these new definitions (that is, by relating to simpler EM problems rather than just ancient pendula etc) the more complex solutions can also be "expressed analytically".

I figure in time we'll figure out relationships between enough different metrics that useful new standard functions (defined only as the solutions of particular previously-"non-analytic" problems from GR) will be chosen, then we'll write everything else down in terms of those functions. And then (despite needing the exact same algorithms to actually estimate any numerical value), we'll call them "analytic solutions".

1. What is the "Two Body Problem" in physics?

The "Two Body Problem" is a classic problem in physics that deals with the motion of two objects under the influence of their mutual gravitational attraction. This problem was first studied by Sir Isaac Newton and involves finding the exact solutions for the positions and velocities of the two objects at any given time.

2. Why is the "Two Body Problem" important?

The "Two Body Problem" is important because it has wide-ranging applications in fields such as celestial mechanics, astrophysics, and aerospace engineering. It helps us understand the dynamics of two-body systems, such as planets orbiting around stars, and can also be used to predict and plan space missions.

3. What are some examples of exact solutions to the "Two Body Problem"?

Some examples of exact solutions to the "Two Body Problem" include the circular orbit, where the two objects are moving in a perfect circle around each other, and the elliptical orbit, where the objects are moving in an oval-shaped path around each other. Other solutions include parabolic and hyperbolic orbits.

4. How do scientists solve the "Two Body Problem"?

Scientists solve the "Two Body Problem" using mathematical equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. They also use computer simulations and advanced mathematical techniques, such as perturbation theory, to find more accurate solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Two Body Problem" exact solutions?

Yes, there are limitations to the "Two Body Problem" exact solutions. This problem assumes that the two objects are point masses with no external forces acting on them, which is not always the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account factors such as relativity and other celestial bodies that may affect the two-body system. Therefore, these solutions are only approximations and may not accurately predict the exact motion of the objects in all situations.