Terminal voltage and electromotive force

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a battery with internal resistance and two parallel resistances. The questions asked are about the terminal voltage and current through one of the resistances. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help given.
expresstrain
Hi everybody!

I'm a physics-interested guy from Norway, who have a question. We don't have any such exellent forums in Norway. :-) I hope you understand my english by the way. :-)

Homework Statement

We have a battery with internal resistance 2 Ohm. The voltmeter shows 9 volt when no current goes through the circuit (switch open). (Then, the electromotive force is 9 volt, right?)
When this switch is closed, i.e. current goes through the circuit, the voltmeter shows 7,8 volt. In this circuit we therefore have a resistance with 13 ohm.

If we now have two resistances (13 ohm and 30 ohm) switched parallell (do you understand my english. :-) ). (Then we have a resultant resistance 9,07 ohm, right?)

Then the questions:

1. What shows the voltmeter now? (we need to find the terminal voltage, right?)

2. What's the current through the resistance with 13 ohm?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

1. According to my calculations, the terminal voltage now is 7,4 volt.

2. The current through resistance 13 ohm: 0,567 Ampere.

But I don't know whether this is right?

Hope I'll get answer from some physics genius! :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've got it. I get SLIGHTLY different answers, but then you are rounding your numbers somewhat differently in different places.

Dick said:
I think you've got it. I get SLIGHTLY different answers, but then you are rounding your numbers somewhat differently in different places.

Ah! Good to hear! :-)
To be exact: I calculated the terminal voltage (question 1) to 7,374. Did you get the same answer?

expresstrain said:
Ah! Good to hear! :-)
To be exact: I calculated the terminal voltage (question 1) to 7,374. Did you get the same answer?

No. I got 7.373949579831933. :wink:

Dick said:
No. I got 7.373949579831933. :wink:

Heh. :-)
Thank you very much by the way!

1. What is the difference between terminal voltage and electromotive force?

Terminal voltage is the potential difference measured across the terminals of a circuit, while electromotive force is the maximum potential difference that can be provided by a source. Terminal voltage takes into account any internal resistance in the circuit, while electromotive force does not.

2. How is terminal voltage affected by internal resistance?

Internal resistance in a circuit will cause a drop in the terminal voltage, as it reduces the amount of potential difference available at the terminals. The higher the internal resistance, the greater the drop in terminal voltage.

3. Can terminal voltage be greater than electromotive force?

No, terminal voltage can never be greater than electromotive force. This is because terminal voltage takes into account any internal resistance, while electromotive force is the theoretical maximum potential difference that can be provided.

4. How is electromotive force related to voltage and current?

Electromotive force is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to current. This means that as voltage increases, so does electromotive force, and as current increases, electromotive force decreases.

5. What factors affect the magnitude of electromotive force?

The magnitude of electromotive force is affected by the type of source (e.g. battery, generator), the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the speed at which the magnetic field changes. In general, a larger number of turns and a stronger magnetic field will result in a higher electromotive force.