Classical mechanics, angular momentum and velocity not parallel, why?

In summary, the conversation discusses a single particle revolving at steady speed in a circle of radius a around the z axis at a height h above the origin. It is stated that the particle has angular velocity w = wz. The first question asks to show that the angular momentum L is not parallel to w, and the second question asks to show that the combined angular momentum of two particles rotating rigidly in the same circle is parallel to w. The solution to the first question involves considering the components of L in the x and y axes, as well as the z axis. The solution to the second question involves drawing a picture and considering the sum of the two separate angular momenta.
karnten07

Homework Statement

A single particle of mass m is revolving at steady speed in a circle of radius a about the z axis at a height h above the origin. In this situation the particle has angular velocity w = wz

1 Show that the angular momentum L is not parallel to w

2 If a second particle revolves in the same circle at the opposite end of a diameter, show that the combined angular momentumof the two particles rotating rigiidly is parallel to w.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, i have found a webpage that talks about this situation and describes the problem of w and L not being parallel. But I am finding it hard to extract what information to show that this is true. Here is the link: http://sites.isel.ipl.pt/fisica/pedagogia/ajp75(2007)53.pdf

I am concentrating on the first question first so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer part (1), consider this:

In rotational motion, angular momentum [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{L} = \stackrel{\rightarrow}{r} \times\stackrel{\rightarrow}{P}[/tex], where P is linear momentum.

simon1987 said:
To answer part (1), consider this:

In rotational motion, angular momentum [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{L} = \stackrel{\rightarrow}{r} \times\stackrel{\rightarrow}{P}[/tex], where P is linear momentum.

Does this show that the components of L are in the x and y axes as well as z. Therefore it isn't parallel because of this?

karnten07 said:
Does this show that the components of L are in the x and y axes as well as z. Therefore it isn't parallel because of this?

I think i have the answer to the first part by showing that the moment of inertia in this case has components that are perpendicular to the z axis therefore L and w arent parallel. Any help on the second part would be much appreciated.

karnten07 said:
I think i have the answer to the first part by showing that the moment of inertia in this case has components that are perpendicular to the z axis therefore L and w arent parallel.

Have you drawn a picture? It is incredibly helpful when considering multiple different vectors. Consider: what would the cross product be of z and P if z were parallel to P?

As for part (2), remember that "combined" is just the sum of the two angular momenta, and that each angular momentum is a separate vector. Again, draw a picture.

Last edited:

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the motion of macroscopic objects using principles such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy and momentum.

2. How is angular momentum defined?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

3. Why is angular momentum not always parallel to velocity?

Angular momentum and velocity are not always parallel because angular momentum takes into account the object's mass, moment of inertia, and distance from the axis of rotation, while velocity only considers the object's speed and direction of motion.

4. What is the relationship between angular momentum and conservation of energy?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In classical mechanics, angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant despite any internal changes in the system. This is related to conservation of energy because any changes in angular momentum must be balanced by a corresponding change in kinetic energy.

5. How does classical mechanics apply to everyday life?

Classical mechanics plays a role in many aspects of daily life, from understanding the motion of objects in sports to designing machines and structures that can withstand different forces and loads. It also helps explain phenomena such as gravity, friction, and the behavior of fluids. Many technological advancements, such as airplanes and cars, are based on principles of classical mechanics.