Finding equation of a parabola? Help

• Thread starter dillonwerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a parabola with a given focus and directrix. The definition of a parabola and the distance formula are used to determine the equation, which is x=(y-2)^2/4. The steps to get this equation include squaring both sides and using the distance formula to find the distance from a point on the parabola to the directrix.
dillonwerd
I know this is probably really easy, but I can't get the answer.

Use the definition of a parabola and the distance formula to find the equation of the parabola with focus (1,2) and directrix x=-1

I know the answer is x=(y-2)^2/4. Can anyone tell me how to get there? Sorry to waste your time if this should be pretty easy

Physics news on Phys.org
I just noticed I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry about that...Go ahead and move it if necessary Mods.

Yes, it is pretty easy. You need to know a definition of a parabola: The set of points equidistant from a line and a point not on that line. If you draw this, you could approximate visually the intended parabola.

Focus: (1, 2), Directrix: x=-1

( (x -(-1))^2 + (y - y)^2)^(0.5) = ((x-1)^2 + (y-2)^2)^(0.5)

The leftside is distance from a point on parabola to the line; the rightside is distance from point on parabola
to the directrix. Translate the equation above into conventional mathematical, algebra symbolism, work the
steps, and you'll have your expected result, whatever it is.

In "convential mathematical, algebra symbolism" that is:
[tex]\sqrt{(x-(-1))^2+ (y-y)^2}= \sqrt{(x-1)^2+ (y-2)^2}[/tex]
First obvious step is to square both sides.
The formula on the right is obviously the distance from the focus, (1, 2) to the general point (x,y) on the parabola. The formula on the left is the distance from the point (x,y) to a point on the line x= -1, (-1, y). Since the distance from a point to a vertical line is just the absolute value of the difference in the x coordinates, you could also write
[tex]|x-(-1)|= \sqrt{(x-1)^2+ (y-2)^2}[/tex]
Since
[tex]\sqrt{(x-(-1))^2+ (y-y)^2}= \sqrt{(x-(-1))^2}= |x-(-1)|[/tex]
Of course, you would still want to square both sides and so get rid of both the square root and the absolute value.

Dillonwerd, actually since you are trying to find steps to show the parabola expressed of
[tex] \[
x = \frac{1}{4}(y - 2)^2
\]
[/tex] ,

You should change your non-typeset form to something more like:
x = (1/4)*(y - 2)^2 which would express what you really are trying to express.

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a type of symmetrical curve that is formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone. It is a common shape in nature and can be seen in the path of a thrown ball, the trajectory of a bullet, and the shape of a satellite dish.

2. How do you find the equation of a parabola?

The equation of a parabola can be found using the general form: y = ax^2 + bx + c. To find the values of a, b, and c, you will need to know the coordinates of at least three points on the parabola or have other information such as the vertex and focus point.

3. What is the difference between a horizontal and vertical parabola?

A horizontal parabola has its vertex and focus points along the x-axis, while a vertical parabola has its vertex and focus points along the y-axis. The equations for these two types of parabolas differ in the placement of the squared term (ax^2 vs. ay^2).

4. Can a parabola have a negative coefficient?

Yes, a parabola can have a negative coefficient (a) in its equation. This will result in a parabola that opens downwards instead of upwards. The value of a also affects the steepness of the curve.

5. How is a parabola used in real life?

Parabolas have many practical applications, including in engineering, physics, and architecture. They are used to design bridges, arches, and other structures that can support heavy loads. They are also used in optics to create parabolic mirrors and lenses, which are used in telescopes and satellite dishes to reflect and focus light and signals.