Lorentz Transform in Non-Minkowski Spaces

In summary, the Lorentz Transform is a self-isometric transformation that preserves intervals between events in a space, and the Killing vector field is a vector field that solves the Killing equations.
Ateowa
What is the equivalent of the Lorentz Transform when the metric is not Minkowski? How do you do a coordinate transform with a metric that has non-diagonal terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
A Quick Overview of Killing Vector Fields

Hi, Ateowa and a belated welcome to PF,

The short answer is: "read in a good gtr textbook about Killing vector fields on a Lorentzian manifold".

A slightly longer answer:

The Lorentz transformations are self-isometries of Minkowski spacetime, that is, transformations which preserve "intervals" between all events, or IOW preserve the metric tensor. More precisely, the Lorentz group is a six-dimensional real Lie group which consists of all self-isometries which take the origin to itself; it is a subgroup of the ten-dimensional real Lie group of all self-isometries of Minkowski spacetime, which is called the Poincare group. The Lie algebra of a Lie group is a kind of "linearization" of the group in which elements of the group are replaced by vector fields on our manifold (which, it turns out, can be thought of as first order linear partial differential operators on the manifold). The Lie algebra of the Poincare group is generated by ten vector fields: three rotations, three boosts, three spatial translations, and one time translation 3+3+3+1=10.

This is exactly analogous to saying that the (six-dimensional) euclidean group is the group of all self-isometries of three-dimensional euclidean space, and the (three-dimensional) rotation group is the subgroup consisting of all self-isometries taking the origin to itself. The Lie algebra of the euclidean group is generated by six vector fields: three rotations and three translations.

This suggests that the analogue of the Poincare group for a general Lorentzian spacetime M should be the Lie group of all self-isometries on M. The Lie algebra of this group is generated by vector fields called Killing vector fields, and they are found by solving the Killing equations. (Killing was a student of Lie who did much to help develop Lie's ideas.)

It turns out that no spacetime has more independent Killing vectors (ten) than Minkowski spacetime, and most have far less or even none at all. The possible Lie algebras of Killing vectors have been enumerated and many theorems are known to the effect that no solution of the EFE has such and such symmetry with a finite number of known exceptional cases. I can give arbitrarly many specific examples of solutions of the Einstein field equation illustrating the various possible symmetry groups (equivalently, Lie algebras of Killing vectors), but perhaps it would be easier to refer interested PF readers to the monograph by Stephani et al, Exact Solutions of Einstein's Field Equations, Cambridge University Press, 2nd edition.

Last edited:
So to find a transformation that preserves the metric tensor in a space that is not Minkowski, I use the Killing equations to find Killing vectors?

I'll definitely take a look at Killing vectors in a gtr book. Thanks!

Ateowa said:
So to find a transformation that preserves the metric tensor in a space that is not Minkowski, I use the Killing equations to find Killing vectors?

Yes, exactly!

Ateowa said:
I'll definitely take a look at Killing vectors in a gtr book.

A good textbook from which to learn about this is Carroll, Spacetime and Geometry. If you use Maple, check out GRTensorII from a team led by Kayll Lake (Physics, Queens University, Kingston, Ontario). Using GRTensorII, it is very easy to compute the Killing tensor and then using Maple's casesplit command (basically, differential ring Groebner basis type magic) these can be solved to yield the Killing equations.

Carroll's book Spacetime and Geometry is actually what I'm using. It's tough though, because I don't have a very good mathematical background. I've never worked with tensors before this, so I quickly get lost, as Carroll mostly takes tensor manipulation for granted.

Hmmm... well, a good mathematical background is highly desirable preparation for many activities, including studying gtr, so I doubt I can offer helpful advice there other than to try to fill in the holes now that you have, I guess, strong motivation to do so! :wink:

1. What is the Lorentz Transform in Non-Minkowski Spaces?

The Lorentz Transform in Non-Minkowski Spaces is a mathematical concept that describes how measurements of space and time change when moving from one reference frame to another in a non-Minkowski spacetime. It is an extension of the original Lorentz Transform, which is used in special relativity to describe the relationship between space and time in a flat, Minkowski spacetime.

2. How is the Lorentz Transform in Non-Minkowski Spaces different from the original Lorentz Transform?

The Lorentz Transform in Non-Minkowski Spaces takes into account the curvature of spacetime, which is not present in the original Lorentz Transform. This means that measurements of space and time will change differently in non-Minkowski spacetimes compared to flat, Minkowski spacetime.

3. What are some examples of Non-Minkowski Spaces?

Some examples of Non-Minkowski Spaces include curved spacetimes in general relativity, such as those around massive objects like black holes, as well as in cosmological models of the universe that include dark energy and dark matter.

4. How is the Lorentz Transform in Non-Minkowski Spaces used in physics?

The Lorentz Transform in Non-Minkowski Spaces is used in various areas of physics, including general relativity, cosmology, and high-energy physics. It is important for understanding the effects of gravity and the behavior of particles at high speeds in curved spacetimes.

5. What are some practical applications of the Lorentz Transform in Non-Minkowski Spaces?

Some practical applications of the Lorentz Transform in Non-Minkowski Spaces include GPS technology, which uses general relativity and the Lorentz Transform to accurately measure time and distance in a curved spacetime, and particle accelerators, which use the Lorentz Transform to calculate the trajectories of high-speed particles in curved spacetimes.