Energy momentum tensor of a scalar field by varying the metric

In summary: Your paradox can be resolved by noting that the metric is not a tensor. You can see this from the transformation law for the metric, which involves derivatives of the coordinates. If the metric were a tensor, we would expect the transformation law to involve some sort of Jacobian factor. The fact that it doesn't means that the metric is not a tensor. So the formula you used for the variation of the metric is incorrect. I would also point out that the expression you wrote down for the variation of the action is not correct. The term you wrote involving \delta g_{\mu\nu} is not the only term that arises in the variation of the Lagrangian. You have to be careful when using expressions like \delta g^
knobelc
Suppose you are given the Lagrangian of a scalar field [tex]\Phi(t)[/tex]

[tex] \mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \dot{\Phi}- \nabla \Phi - V(\Phi ).[/tex]

By introducing covariant notation with [tex]\eta_{\mu \nu} = (1,-1,-1,-1)[/tex] this reads as

[tex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \eta^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu\Phi \;\partial_\nu\Phi- V(\Phi ).[/tex]

Let us now switch to GR, i.e. $\eta^{\mu \nu} \rightarrow [tex]g^{\mu \nu}[/tex]. The Lagrangian remains the same since covariant derivative of a scalar field is the same as normal derivative, i.e. [tex]\nabla_{\mu} \Phi = \partial_{\mu} \Phi[/tex]. I derive the energy-momentum-Tensor [tex]T^{\mu \nu}[/tex] by varying [tex]g_{\mu\nu}[/tex] in the action

[tex]S = \int \mathcal{L} \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4,[/tex]

i.e.

[tex]\delta S = \frac{1}{2}\int T^{\mu \nu} \delta g_{\mu\nu} \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4.[/tex]

So we obtain with the variation [tex]\delta g_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I had some problems with the latex here. So I could not finish my first posted text. Here is the full version:

Suppose you are given the Lagrangian of a scalar field [itex]\Phi(t)[/itex]

[tex] \mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \dot{\Phi}- \nabla \Phi - V(\Phi ).[/tex]

By introducing covariant notation with [itex]\eta_{\mu \nu} = (1,-1,-1,-1)[/itex] this reads as

[tex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \eta^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu\Phi \;\partial_\nu\Phi- V(\Phi ).[/tex]

Let us now switch to GR, i.e. [itex]\eta^{\mu \nu} \rightarrow g^{\mu \nu}[/itex]. The Lagrangian remains the same since covariant derivative of a scalar field is the same as normal derivative, i.e. [itex]\nabla_{\mu} \Phi = \partial_{\mu} \Phi.[/itex] I derive the energy-momentum-Tensor [itex]T^{\mu \nu}[/itex] by varying [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex] in the action

[tex]S = \int \mathcal{L} \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4,[/tex]

i.e.

[tex]\delta S = \frac{1}{2}\int T^{\mu \nu} \delta g_{\mu\nu} \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4.[/tex]

So we obtain with the variation [tex]\delta g_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

[tex]\delta S = \delta \int \mathcal{L} \sqrt{-g} \;dx^4 = \int \left[\left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\nabla_\mu \Phi)} \;\delta (\nabla_\mu \Phi) + \frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial g_{\mu\nu}} \;\delta g_{\mu\nu} \right) \sqrt{-g} + \mathcal{L} \;\delta (\sqrt{-g}) \right]dx^4.[/tex]

Since our Lagrangian does not contain any covariant derivative [itex]\delta (\nabla_\mu \Phi)=0.[/itex] Furthermore it holds

[tex]\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial g_{\mu\nu}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial g_{\mu\nu}} \left[\frac{1}{2} g_{\mu\nu} \partial^\mu\Phi \;\partial^\nu\Phi\right] = \frac{1}{2} \partial^\mu\Phi \;\partial^\nu\Phi[/tex]

and it is well known in GR that

[tex]\delta(\sqrt{-g}) = \frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu} \sqrt{-g}\; \delta g_{\mu\nu}.[/tex]

So we obtain finally

[tex]\delta S = \frac{1}{2} \int \left[ \partial^\mu\Phi \;\partial^\nu\Phi + g^{\mu\nu}\mathcal{L} \right]\delta g_{\mu\nu} \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4,[/tex]

thus

[tex]T^{\mu \nu} = \partial^\mu\Phi \;\partial^\nu\Phi + g^{\mu\nu}\mathcal{L}.[/tex]

My problem is now that the correct result should read as

[tex]T^{\mu \nu} = \partial^\mu\Phi \;\partial^\nu\Phi - g^{\mu\nu}\mathcal{L}.[/tex]

Thus I get the sign in the second term wrong. Where is the error?? Sorry for this subtle problem but I have looked at it again and again and don't see it. So I would be happy if anybody could help me.

Your variation isn't going correctly. First of all, your action contains derivatives of the scalar field, so you should include those. Covariant derivatives on scalar fields equal partial derivatives on scalar fields.

If one has the action

[tex]
L = \sqrt{g}{\cal L} = \sqrt{g}\Bigl(g^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi -V(\phi)\Bigr)
[/tex]

I obtain when varying with respect to the metric ( varying with respect to the scalar field will give me the equations of motion, which are known I assume )

[tex]
\delta L = \delta {\cal L} \sqrt{g} + {\cal L}\delta\sqrt{g} = ( \delta {\cal L} + \frac{1}{2}{\cal L}g^{\mu\nu}\delta g_{\mu\nu} )\sqrt{g}
[/tex]

which equals

[tex]
(\frac{1}{2}\delta g^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi + \frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu} {\cal L }\delta g_{\mu\nu})\sqrt{g}

[/tex]

Now remember that

[tex]
\delta g^{\mu\nu} = -\delta g_{\mu\nu}
[/tex]

and you obtain

[tex]
\delta L = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{g}(g^{\mu\nu}{\cal L} - \partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi)\delta g_{\mu\nu}
[/tex]

From this you can easily obtain the energy momentum tensor. If I didn't make typos, that is.

That was a quick answer from a long night drinking; ofcourse the last term should be

[tex]\delta L = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{g}(g^{\mu\nu}{\cal L} - \partial^{\mu}\phi\partial^{\nu}\phi)\delta g_{\mu\nu}
[/tex]

Thanks a lot for your quick answer. Still there remains for me a paradox:

First of all, the correct formula is

[tex]\delta g^{\mu\nu} = -g^{\mu \alpha}g^{\beta \nu}\delta g_{\alpha\beta}[/tex].

The whole paradox for me is then

[tex]\delta g_{\mu \nu}\;\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial^{\nu}\phi = \delta(g_{\mu \nu}\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial^{\nu}\phi)[/tex]

[tex]= \delta(g^{\mu \nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi)[/tex]

[tex]= \delta g^{\mu \nu}\;\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi[/tex]

[tex]= -g^{\mu \alpha}g^{\beta \nu}\delta g_{\alpha\beta}\;\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi[/tex]

[tex]= - \delta g_{\mu \nu}\;\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial^{\nu}\phi[/tex]

This is a contradiction unless [itex]\delta g_{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex]. This makes the difference between your and my solution. Can you resolve this?

Maybe it's a little overdone, but my view on this is the following. Varying and raising indices don't commute. So,

[tex]
[\delta, g_{\mu\nu}] \neq 0
[/tex]

This looks quite trivial, but it has consequences. When I wrote

[tex]
\delta g_{\mu\nu} = -\delta g^{\mu\nu}
[/tex]

I ment explicitly

[tex]
(\delta g)_{\mu\nu} = -(\delta g)^{\mu\nu}
[/tex]

You're used to freely change the position of the indices in a contraction, so eg for tensors of rank one,

[tex]
X_{\alpha}Y^{\alpha} = X^{\alpha}Y_{\alpha}
[/tex]

However, this is not allowed when you consider variations which concern that object with which you raise and lower those indices: the metric itself! So I would say that

[tex]
\delta(g^{\mu \nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi) \neq \delta(g_{\mu \nu}\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial^{\nu}\phi)
[/tex]

This can be traced back by the fact that

[tex]
g_{\mu\nu}g^{\nu\rho} = \delta_{\mu}^{\rho} \rightarrow \delta\Bigl(g_{\mu\nu}g^{\nu\rho}\Bigr) = 0 \rightarrow \delta g_{\mu\nu} g^{\nu\rho} = - g^{\nu\rho}\delta g_{\mu\nu}
[/tex]

which creates that minus-sign. In fact, what you should have is

[tex]
\delta(g^{\mu \nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi) = - \delta(g_{\mu \nu}\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial^{\nu}\phi)
[/tex]

It may look strange that lowering or raising indices on a tensor induces a minus-sign, but that's only when you look at the variation of the metric, which is a tensor. Ofcourse, this doesn't influence the transformation properties of the object, so it's still a tensor.

If anyone else has other ideas about this, I'm very interested :)

I agree that

[tex]\delta(g^{\mu \nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi) = - \delta(g_{\mu \nu}\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial^{\nu}\phi)[/tex],

but then problem arises that the way we write the Lagrangian determines the sign of the first term in the energy-momentum-tensor. How can we decide what way to write the Lagrangian, i.e. either

[tex] L = \sqrt{g}{\cal L} = \sqrt{g}\Bigl(g^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial _{\nu}\phi -V(\phi)\Bigr)[/tex]

or

[tex] L = \sqrt{g}{\cal L} = \sqrt{g}\Bigl(g_{\mu\nu}\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial^{\nu}\phi -V(\phi)\Bigr)?[/tex]

I tend to the answer that the first version is the more natural since it contains the "physical" derivation

[tex]\partial_{\mu} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu},[/tex]

instead of

[tex]\partial^{\mu} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x_\mu}[/tex]

which can only be defined by means of a metric, the object to be varied.

knobelc said:
[tex]\delta(g^{\mu \nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi) = - \delta(g_{\mu \nu}\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial^{\nu}\phi)[/tex],

[tex]\delta_{g}\left( g^{ab} A_{a}B_{b}\right) = \delta g^{ab} A_{a}B_{b}[/tex]

but then problem arises that the way we write the Lagrangian determines the sign of the first term in the energy-momentum-tensor. How can we decide what way to write the Lagrangian, i.e. either

[tex] L = \sqrt{g}{\cal L} = \sqrt{g}\Bigl(g^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial _{\nu}\phi -V(\phi)\Bigr)[/tex]

or

[tex] L = \sqrt{g}{\cal L} = \sqrt{g}\Bigl(g_{\mu\nu}\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial^{\nu}\phi -V(\phi)\Bigr)?[/tex]

there is no problem you can use any one.

Because [itex]\mathcal{L}(g^{ab}) = \mathcal{L}(g_{ab})[/itex], you need to decide about the sign so that you always have

[tex]T^{ab} \delta g_{ab} = - T_{ab} \delta g^{ab}[/tex]

So when you take

[tex]\delta \sqrt{-g} = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{-g} g^{ab} \delta g_{ab}[/tex]

you must then take

[tex] \delta \mathcal{L} = \frac{ \partial \mathcal{L} }{ \partial g^{ab} } \delta g^{ab} = - \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial g_{ab} } \delta g_{ab}[/tex]

the second equality follows from the identity
[tex]\left[ \delta g^{ab} = - g^{ac} g^{bd} \delta g_{cd} \ \right][/tex]

Thus

[tex]
\delta S = \frac{1}{2} \int dx \sqrt{-g} \left( \mathcal{L} g^{ab} - 2 \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial g_{ab}} \right) \delta g_{ab}
[/tex]

Then from

[tex]\delta S = \int dx \sqrt{-g} \frac{\delta S}{\delta g_{ab}} \delta g_{ab} \equiv - \frac{1}{2} \int dx \sqrt{-g} \ T^{ab} \delta g_{ab}[/tex]

you find

[tex] T^{ab} = 2 \frac{ \partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial g_{ab}} - g^{ab} \mathcal{L}[/tex]

But if you take

[tex]\delta \mathcal{L} = (+) \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial g_{ab}} \delta g_{ab}[/tex]

then you should write

[tex]\delta \sqrt{-g} = (-) \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{-g} g^{ab} \delta g_{ab}[/tex]

and define the T-tensor by

[tex]\delta S = \frac{1}{2} \int dx T^{ab} \delta g_{ab}[/tex]

Personally I use and stick to the followings

[tex] \delta \sqrt{-g} = - \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{-g} g_{ab} \delta g^{ab}[/tex]

[tex]\delta \mathcal{L} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial g^{ab}} \delta g^{ab}[/tex]

[tex]\delta S = \frac{1}{2} \int dx \ \sqrt{-g} T_{ab} \delta g^{ab}[/tex]

this again leads to the correct T-tensor

[tex]T_{ab} = 2 \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial g^{ab}} - g_{ab} \mathcal{L}[/tex]

regards

sam

samalkhaiat said:
So when you take

[tex]\delta \sqrt{-g} = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{-g} g^{ab} \delta g_{ab}[/tex]

you must then take

[tex] \delta \mathcal{L} = \frac{ \partial \mathcal{L} }{ \partial g^{ab} } \delta g^{ab} = - \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial g_{ab} } \delta g_{ab}[/tex]
Why is that? Is this just a rule in order to get the "right" result? Without any further information I don't see a reason not to write

[tex] \delta \mathcal{L} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial g_{ab} } \delta g_{ab} = - \frac{ \partial \mathcal{L} }{ \partial g^{ab} } \delta g^{ab}[/tex]

in this case. Or do I miss something?

Cheers, C.

knobelc said:
Why is that? Is this just a rule in order to get the "right" result?

Exactly! you need your T-tensor,defined in GR to be

[tex]T^{ab} = -2 \frac{\delta S}{\delta g_{ab}} \ \ (1),[/tex]

to agree with the (symmetric) canonical tensor, derived from Noether theorem,

[tex]T^{ab} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \partial_{a} \phi} \partial^{b} \phi - \mathcal{L} g^{ab}[/tex]

Can you derive Eq(1) within the canonical formalism? No you can not. So you need a sigh manifesto.

Without any further information I don't see a reason not to write

[tex] \delta \mathcal{L} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial g_{ab} } \delta g_{ab} = - \frac{ \partial \mathcal{L} }{ \partial g^{ab} } \delta g^{ab}[/tex]

in this case. Or do I miss something?
Yes, You would get an incorrect canonical energy-momentum tensor.

regards

sam

Last edited:

1. What is the energy momentum tensor?

The energy momentum tensor is a mathematical object used in physics to describe the distribution of energy, momentum, and stress within a system. It is a 4x4 matrix that contains 16 components, with each component representing a different aspect of the system's energy and momentum.

2. How is the energy momentum tensor of a scalar field calculated?

The energy momentum tensor of a scalar field is calculated by varying the metric, which means taking the derivative of the Lagrangian (a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of the system) with respect to the metric. This process involves complex mathematical calculations and is typically done using differential geometry and tensor calculus.

3. What is the importance of the energy momentum tensor in physics?

The energy momentum tensor is important because it is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is used to describe the behavior of matter and energy in the universe, and it plays a crucial role in understanding the dynamics of space and time.

4. Can the energy momentum tensor be used to make predictions?

Yes, the energy momentum tensor can be used to make predictions about the behavior of a system. By solving the equations derived from the energy momentum tensor, scientists can predict how matter and energy will interact and behave in different situations, such as in the presence of a strong gravitational field.

5. Are there any limitations to the energy momentum tensor?

Yes, there are limitations to the energy momentum tensor. One limitation is that it does not take into account quantum effects, meaning it cannot accurately describe the behavior of systems on a very small scale. Additionally, the energy momentum tensor may not be applicable in certain situations, such as in the presence of exotic matter or in regions of extreme curvature.