Island universe eventually true?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an "island universe," referring to the local neighborhood of the Milky Way that will remain gravitationally bound even as the rest of the universe expands. It is stated that the Local Group will eventually merge into a single large elliptical galaxy, and the conversation references an article discussing the privileged time in which we live, where we can observe the expansion of the universe.
Loren Booda
"Island universe" eventually true?

With the acceleration of the universe outward, will our universal horizon eventually be reduced to include only the local neighborhood of the Milky Way, an island universe, whose concept predates Hubble's discovery of linear universal expansion?

Space news on Phys.org
Yes.

Wait... I thought that gravitationally bound systems do not experience Hubble expansion. The Milky Way is gravitationally bound to the Andromeda galaxy (the two galaxies are either orbiting each other or colliding). So our island will include Andromeda... and the other galaxies of our local group... no?

I think it's an open question of exactly what objects are bound within the Local Group but yes in principle our little collection of galaxies will remain together forever, even once everything else in the Universe is too far away to see ever again.

Note that by this time all the galaxies in the Local Group will have merged together, probably resulting in a single large elliptical galaxy containing the mixed up remains of the Milly Way, Andromeda, the Magellanic clouds and a host of other nearby dwarf galaxies.

There was an interesting article on this subject in popular science magazine (I think). It talked a little about how we live at a somewhat privileged time because we're at an era where we can discern the origin and nature of the universe through telescopic observations. Any later, the article stated, and we would become an island universe and thus unable to observe even expansion. Interesting stuff, although I do believe they ruled out gravitational binding of objects, because it talked about how the milky way would eventually split up.

George,

Thank you. The SciAm article is where I must have gotten my idea.

1. What is an island universe?

An island universe refers to a galaxy, which is a large group of stars, gas, and dust held together by gravity. Our own Milky Way galaxy is an example of an island universe.

2. Is the theory of island universe eventually true?

Currently, the majority of scientists believe that the theory of island universe is true. However, as with any scientific theory, it is subject to change as new evidence and discoveries are made.

3. How did the theory of island universe come about?

The theory of island universe was first proposed in the 18th century by philosopher Immanuel Kant and was later supported by astronomer William Herschel. With the advancements in telescopes and technology, scientists were able to observe and study other galaxies, further solidifying the theory.

4. Is the concept of an island universe accepted by all scientists?

While the majority of scientists support the theory of island universe, there are still some who propose alternative theories or have differing opinions. Scientific debates and discussions about the concept are ongoing.

5. Are there any current studies or research being done on the theory of island universe?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and research being done on the theory of island universe. Scientists are constantly seeking to learn more about the structure, formation, and evolution of galaxies to further our understanding of the universe.