Temperature between Galactic Structures

In summary, the conversation discusses the temperature of space and how it varies between galaxies and within galaxies. The intergalactic medium is generally very hot due to the heating from the universe's first stars, while the interstellar medium also has varying temperatures. However, despite the high temperatures, a human in the space between galaxies would still feel cold due to the low density of gas. The temperature between galaxies is believed to approach the temperature of the microwave background radiation, which is approximately 5K.
JamesBrown
So I’m trying to understand a bit more about the structure of the universe and I keep running across all these “if you think that’s strange wait until you hear this” moments and they almost always cause me an almost painful paradigm shift (without a clutch). Here is the latest.

I was always comfortable with the idea of the coldness of space. At about five molecules per liter of volume and so damn cold. Then I learn about the center of our galaxy and the super black hole lurking there and that the same type of thing is also lurking in most if not all of the other galaxies and that because of Hawking radiation that part of our neighborhood is blinding hot.

So not all of space is dead cold but certainly the space between galaxies is as cold as space should be in my mind at least and I was pleased to understand that – yes between galaxies is a cold place.

But what about the space between collections of galaxies like our own dear Local Group; the thirty of more galaxies like our own Milky Way and then next one over - the M81 group? Is it hot between them again? Filled with plasma of gamma rays or other such nasty surprises or is it cold as space?

Anyone know?

Space news on Phys.org
Hawking radiation (unruh radiation) is not responsible for heating in the ISM/IGM. Yes, the space between galaxies is generally very hot, [tex]10^6[/tex]K degrees or so actually. We call that material the intergalactic medium (IGM). The interstellar medium (ISM) is also pretty hot in general. Well, the temperature varies quite a bit, from a few K in cold molecular clouds to [tex]10^4[/tex]K in H II regions. Generally its a few
[tex]10^3[/tex]K. The heating and cooling processes in the IGM/ISM are complex but its thought that supernovae are generally responsible for heating the gas in the IGM.

Last edited:
The space between galaxies is believed to have been heated by the universe's first stars, which were huge and millions of times brighter than our Sun.

It would still feel cold for a human out there because solid bodies radiate heat very rapidly. The density of gas is so low that it would not have a significant warming effect on you. You would quickly cool to near absolute zero even though the temperature of the gas is thousands of degrees.

I would expect that the temperature between galaxies would approach the temperature of the microwave background radiation (approximately 5K).

What is the "Temperature between Galactic Structures"?

The "Temperature between Galactic Structures" refers to the average temperature of the space between galaxies in the universe. It is a measure of the energy and radiation present in this vast expanse of space.

Why is the temperature between galactic structures important?

The temperature between galactic structures is important because it can provide insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the overall structure of the universe. It also affects the behavior of matter and energy in this space.

How is the temperature between galactic structures measured?

The temperature between galactic structures is measured using various methods, such as examining the cosmic microwave background radiation, analyzing the spectra of distant galaxies, and studying the distribution of hot gas in galaxy clusters.

What factors can affect the temperature between galactic structures?

The temperature between galactic structures can be affected by several factors, including the amount and distribution of matter and energy, the expansion of the universe, and the presence of dark matter and dark energy.

What are the potential implications of studying the temperature between galactic structures?

Studying the temperature between galactic structures can provide valuable information about the history and composition of the universe, as well as the processes that drive the evolution of galaxies. This can ultimately help us better understand our place in the cosmos and potentially lead to advancements in technology and space exploration.