Electric Car Battery Internal Resistance Effects

So the battery will last longer (the time, not the charge, since the charge stays constant).Does this make sense?ThanksYes, that makes sense. So basically, since the current is reduced, the power output decreases and therefore the energy stored in the cells will decrease at a slower rate, leading to the battery lasting longer. Is that correct?Yes, that is correct. The decreased current leads to a decreased power output, which means the energy stored in the cells will decrease at a slower rate, leading to the battery lasting longer.
nokia8650
The battery of an electric car consists of 30 cells, connected in series, to supply current to the
motor.

(a) Assume that the internal resistance of each cell is negligible and that the pd across each
cell is 6.0V.
(i) State the pd across the motor.
(ii) The battery provides 7.2kW to the motor when the car is running. Calculate the
current in the circuit.
(iii) The battery can deliver this current for two hours. Calculate how much charge
the battery delivers in this time
(iv) Calculate the energy delivered to the motor in the two hour period.

b)In practice, each cell has a small but finite internal resistance. Explain, without
calculation, the effect of this resistance on
- the current in the circuit, and
- the time for which the battery can deliver the current in part (a)(ii).
You may assume that the motor behaves as a constant resistance.

I can do part (a) with ease, and the first part of b also. However, I am unable to do the part of b which asks for the effect of internal resistance on the time for which the battery can deliver the current in part (a)(ii).

Please can someone help me with this.Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the internal resistance as a normal resistor connected in series with the cells. What happens when a current passes through a resistor?

Work is done against the internal resistance, resulting in their being a potential difference across the intrenal resistor. This results in the potential difference across the terminals of the cell being less. Consequently, the current flowing will be less. I don't understand how the presence of the internal resistance determines how long the battery can deliver current for. Also, I thought that the current will be lkess than in a(ii), so surely it will be a lower current that flows?

Thanks

Last edited:
Is it anything to do with the total energy or charge a cell can deliver?

nokia8650 said:
Work is done against the internal resistance
Correct! So if work is done against the resistance, where does this energy go?

Does it appear as heat?

nokia8650 said:
Does it appear as heat?
Indeed it does. So if some amount of energy is radiated away from the circuit as heat, what happens to the total energy of circuit and hence the total energy stored in the cells?

The total energy of the circuit decreases, and so less is stored in the cells?

nokia8650 said:
The total energy of the circuit decreases, and so less is stored in the cells?
Correct :approve:

So would this not mean that the current flows for less time?

nokia8650 said:
So would this not mean that the current flows for less time?
Correct. Since the total resistance of the circuit is greater than without an IR, this means that more energy will be radiated away as heat per unit time and hence, the total energy stored in the cells will decrease at a greater rate.

Thanks a lot for the help! This is also what I thought. The mark scheme says the opposite though:

"(total) charge circulated by battery remains the same [or valid energy reasons]
time for which (reduced) current flows is increased"

I am unable to understand the reasoning in the markscheme!

The examiners report says "Candidates who deduced correctly that the time increased
usually approached the problem from energy or charge considerations." I don't know if that helps, since I do not understand why the time increases.

Can anyone understand the reasoning of the markscheme, it is really playing on my mind!

Thanks

Hi nokia8650,

The wording of the initial question seems a bit strange, but the markscheme seems correct to me. When the current is reduced due to adding resistance, the power output of the (constant voltage) battery will decrease due to:

[tex]
P=\frac{V^2}{R}
[/tex]

Then, since power is energy change per time, a smaller power will take a longer time to decrease the same amount of energy.

1. What is internal resistance in an electric car battery?

Internal resistance in an electric car battery refers to the resistance within the battery itself that reduces the flow of electric current. This resistance is caused by the chemical reactions happening inside the battery and can affect the performance and efficiency of the battery.

2. How does internal resistance affect the performance of an electric car battery?

Internal resistance can cause voltage drops and decrease the battery's overall capacity, leading to reduced range and power output. It can also cause the battery to heat up, which can further decrease its efficiency and longevity.

3. Can internal resistance be reduced in electric car batteries?

While internal resistance cannot be eliminated completely, it can be reduced through various techniques such as using better materials and designs for the battery, improving the cooling system, and optimizing the charging and discharging processes.

4. How does internal resistance affect the lifespan of an electric car battery?

High internal resistance can lead to increased stress on the battery, which can result in a shorter lifespan. The repeated charging and discharging cycles also contribute to the wear and tear of the battery, further reducing its lifespan.

5. Is there a way to measure the internal resistance of an electric car battery?

Yes, there are various methods to measure the internal resistance of an electric car battery, such as using a multimeter or using specialized equipment like a battery impedance tester. These methods can help diagnose any issues with the battery and determine its overall health and performance.