Please help: Would should I do with regard to math major?

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a 2-year math program at a local community college, but lacks the required prerequisites of HS math course 3, chemistry, and biology. They have been accepted into a liberal arts program with a "mathematics emphasis" but are having doubts and would prefer to start the "real" math major next year. They are seeking advice on how to acquire the prerequisites, possibly through night classes or summer sessions, and are open to taking credits from another local college if necessary. They are advised to do whatever it takes to complete the prerequisites.
Holocene
I wanted to simply take a 2-year math program at the local community college, but I did have the required prerequisites of HS math course 3, chemistry, and biology.

I've since been accepted into their liberal arts program with a "mathematics emphasis", but I'm starting to have doubts. If I could simply acquire these needed prerequisites, and start the "real" math major next year, I couldn't care less about the 1-year delay.

How might I go about getting these prerequisites? Should I look into night classes or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Holocene said:
I wanted to simply take a 2-year math program at the local community college, but I did have the required prerequisites of HS math course 3, chemistry, and biology.

I've since been accepted into their liberal arts program with a "mathematics emphasis", but I'm starting to have doubts. If I could simply acquire these needed prerequisites, and start the "real" math major next year, I couldn't care less about the 1-year delay.

How might I go about getting these prerequisites? Should I look into night classes or something?

Do you mean did not have the prerequisites... I would definitely look into night courses! Maybe there is a summer session that has not started yet? Perhaps they can take credits from another local college that offers night courses if the one you are attending does not have what you need when you need it.

Do whatever it takes. That's probably the best advice I can tell you.

Do they have placement tests that you can self-study for?

1. What is a math major?

A math major is a degree program that focuses on the study of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and other advanced topics. It involves developing strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and theories.

2. What can I do with a math major?

A math major can lead to a variety of career paths, including roles in finance, data analysis, research, teaching, and more. Many industries, such as technology, banking, and insurance, rely on individuals with strong math skills. A math major can also provide a solid foundation for graduate studies in fields like economics, engineering, and computer science.

3. Is a math major difficult?

A math major can be challenging, as it requires a strong aptitude for numbers, logical thinking, and problem-solving. However, with dedication and hard work, it is certainly achievable. It is important to seek help and resources when needed, such as tutoring or study groups, to succeed in a math major.

4. Do I need to be good at every branch of math to major in it?

No, you do not need to excel in every branch of math to major in it. While having a strong foundation in basic math concepts is important, each math major will have its own specific focus and requirements. It is important to research different math majors and choose one that aligns with your interests and strengths.

5. What skills are important for a successful math major?

Some important skills for a successful math major include strong analytical and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, persistence, and a strong work ethic. It is also helpful to have a passion for problem-solving and a willingness to continuously learn and improve. Good time management and organization skills are also essential for managing coursework and assignments.