K: How can I convert voltage to Pounds?

In summary: VU meterIn summary, the person is looking for a way to convert a resistance value to a voltage level so that they can convert it to force in pounds. They are looking for help finding a formula or software to do this. There is no specific formula that can be given, as the person will need to measure the voltage with no weight and then measure the change in voltage per lb.
shankaryr
Hi there,

I have converted a resistance value to a voltage level. My objective is to convert the voltage level to force in terms of Pounds. Could anyone suggest me a formula which could be used or a software which can do this. Can I use excel to convert this if there is an already stated formula.

This is kind of urgent and all help is appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Force of what?

Is this some sort of load cell ( a weighing machine ?)
The easiest way if you don't have the specs is to measure the voltage with no weight.
Then add 1lb and measure the voltage, then measure it with 2lbs ( or whatever range of weights is reasonable)

Voltage is a potential. You need to multiply by the current in order to caculate power, the rate at which work is done.

Force times speed also equals power, so

Voltage times current = power = force times speed, but how would you relate current and speed?

I am connecting a force sensing resistor to a data aquisiton device (labjack). The FSR takes in force applied on it and outputs resistance value. Now, i have used a Data acquisition device labjack to convert the resistance value to voltage for which i have used a voltage divider. Now, my objective is to convert the voltage applied to pounds to calculate the force applied on the FSR. For this i need a relationship between force in lbs abd voltage.

Ideally, what I would do is to apply a known amount of force (weights in lbs) on the FSR and get the resistance value. But since I am thinking of making this a computer generated output, I need the value to be generated by an electonic device. If i have the relationship I might be able to use excel or probably labview to convert the voltage to pounds.

So, if anyone has an idea, please let me know and it would be well appreciated.

Assuming the device is linear then you just need the scale and offset as I described.
Measure the voltage with no load and then measure the change in voltage per lb.

If you need an analogue output from this sensor (eg. 1V = 1lb ) you can do this with a single op-amp.

shankaryr, there is no basic general formula that we can give you. You must calibrate your apparatus by applying a known force and measuring the resistance or voltage yourself.

As mgb_phys said, you should do the measurement when there is no force. Also do it with close to the maximum force you expect to use.

If you want to double-check the linearity, you could also do the measurement with about half the maximum force.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks. I shall do the above said steps.

shankaryr said:
Hi there,

I have converted a resistance value to a voltage level. My objective is to convert the voltage level to force in terms of Pounds. Could anyone suggest me a formula which could be used or a software which can do this. Can I use excel to convert this if there is an already stated formula.

This is kind of urgent and all help is appreciated

Thanks

Just use a strain gauge instead.

EDIT: Here is a link - http://www.rdpe.com/ex/hiw-sglc.htm

CS

1. What is the formula for converting voltage to pounds?

The formula for converting voltage (V) to pounds (lbs) is: lbs = V x 0.225

2. Why do we need to convert voltage to pounds?

Converting voltage to pounds is necessary in certain industries, such as aviation, where weight limitations are critical for safety. It allows for a more accurate measurement of weight, as voltage can be more easily measured than pounds in some cases.

3. Is the conversion rate for voltage to pounds the same for all materials?

No, the conversion rate for voltage to pounds may vary depending on the material being measured. The formula mentioned above is a general conversion rate and may not apply to all materials.

4. Can voltage be directly converted to kilograms instead of pounds?

Yes, voltage can be directly converted to kilograms (kg) using the formula: kg = V x 0.102. However, keep in mind that the conversion rate may vary for different materials.

5. Are there any tools or online calculators available for converting voltage to pounds?

Yes, there are many online calculators and tools available for converting voltage to pounds. Some may even allow for conversions to other units of weight such as kilograms or grams. It is important to double check the accuracy of these tools as the conversion rate may vary for different materials.