Electric field of a charged arc

In summary, the problem asks for the magnitude of the electric field at the center of curvature of a circular arc with a radius of 2.4 m, where a charge of 18 nC is uniformly distributed along a straight rod of length 4.7 m. Using the equation E=KQ/R^2, we can calculate the electric field by integrating dE=KQ/R^2 along the arc. However, the electric field component dE sin\theta cancels out in the integration, so we only need to consider the dE cos\theta component. By setting up a symmetric axis through the center of the arc, we can simplify the integration and solve for the magnitude of the electric field.
brett812718

Homework Statement

A charge of 18 nC is uniformly distributed along a straight rod of length 4.7 m that is bent into a circular arc with a radius of 2.4 m. What is the magnitude of the electric field at the center of curvature of the arc?

Homework Equations

E=KQ/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

dQ=[tex]\lambda[/tex]ds
[tex]\lambda[/tex]=Q/[tex]\pi[/tex]R
dQ=[tex]\lambda[/tex]Rd[tex]\Theta[/tex]
magnitude dE=kdQ/R^2=K[tex]\lambda[/tex]Rd[tex]\Theta[/tex]/R^2=KQd[tex]\Theta[/tex]/R^2
sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]magnitude dE=KQd[tex]\Theta[/tex]sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]/R^2
magnitude Ey=KQ[-cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]]from a to b/[tex]\pi[/tex]R^2

the limits of integration would be a=0 and b=4.7(2[tex]\Pi[/tex])/2[tex]\Pi[/tex]R
I got E=4.31e-1 n/c but it was wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: On looking through all of what you wrote, I can tell you this.

It is not correct that [tex]\lambda = Q/\pi R[/tex] , but you can just use

[tex]dQ = \lambda R d\theta [/tex].

However, in your field calculation, look at what field component cancels out in the integration. (You won't integrate dE sin[tex]\theta[/tex]...).

Make a picture of the arc and the point at its center. Choose an axis through the center that is symmetrically placed through the arc; this will let you take advantage of a symmetry consideration and also clarify how to set up the field integration.

thanks

Why is [tex] dQ = \lambda R d\theta [/tex] ?
When [tex] \lambda [/tex] has the Unit [tex] [\lambda] = \frac{C}{m} [/tex]

For a circle I understand it.
[tex] dQ = Q \left( \frac{dl}{2 \pi r} \right) = \lambda dl [/tex]

Make sure to take into account that the electric field at a point is a vector.

Don't I do that with [tex] dE_x = dE cos(\theta) [/tex]

[tex] E = E_x = \int\limits_{-\theta }^{\theta} dE cos(\theta) [/tex]

I thought [tex] dQ = \lambda R d\theta [/tex] is the charge density, which is a scalar.

SamTaylor said:
Why is [tex] dQ = \lambda R d\theta [/tex] ?
When [tex] \lambda [/tex] has the Unit [tex] [\lambda] = \frac{C}{m} [/tex]

For a circle I understand it.
[tex] dQ = Q \left( \frac{dl}{2 \pi r} \right) = \lambda dl [/tex]

You need to express dQ as a function of d(theta) so you can integrate from 0 to 2*(pi) (if it's a circle)
[tex] \lambda = \frac{18nC}{4.7m} [/tex]

cryptoguy said:
You need to express dQ as a function of d(theta) so you can integrate from 0 to 2*(pi) (if it's a circle)
[tex] \lambda = \frac{18nC}{4.7m} [/tex]

I think I did not express myself the right way. Sorry

The only thing I don't understand is why there is a R inside [tex] dQ = \lambda R d\theta
[/tex]. The first time i tried to solve it I used [tex] dQ = \lambda d\theta [/tex]
Because as you said, I need a function of theta.
This is how it worked for the circle with [tex] dQ = \lambda dl [/tex]

So for the arc it is [tex] \left[ \lambda \right] = \frac{C}{\circ m} [/tex]
I can't interpret that geometrically, it seems to me just to make it fit right

Hi SamTaylor,

SamTaylor said:
I think I did not express myself the right way. Sorry

The only thing I don't understand is why there is a R inside [tex] dQ = \lambda R d\theta
[/tex]. The first time i tried to solve it I used [tex] dQ = \lambda d\theta [/tex]
Because as you said, I need a function of theta.
This is how it worked for the circle with [tex] dQ = \lambda dl [/tex]

So for the arc it is [tex] \left[ \lambda \right] = \frac{C}{\circ m} [/tex]
I can't interpret that geometrically, it seems to me just to make it fit right

As a first look, we know it can't be [tex] dQ = \lambda d\theta [/tex] because that doesn't have the right units--coulombs on the left, and (coulombs/meter) on the right.

The linear charge density [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the charge per length, and here the length is along the arc. So if [itex]s[/itex] is the length along the arc, a true statement to begin with would be

[tex]dQ = \lambda\, ds[/tex]

If you then think about the relationship between the length of a circular arc s, the radius r, and the angle [itex]\theta[/itex], you'll get the right formula.

Thanks a lot.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds a charged particle or object and exerts a force on other charged particles or objects within its vicinity.

2. How is the electric field of a charged arc calculated?

The electric field of a charged arc can be calculated using the electric field equation, which takes into account the distance between the charged arc and the point where the electric field is being measured, as well as the magnitude and direction of the charge on the arc.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field of a charged arc?

The strength of the electric field of a charged arc is affected by the distance from the arc, the magnitude of the charge on the arc, and the angle at which the electric field is being measured.

4. Can the electric field of a charged arc be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field of a charged arc can be manipulated by changing the distance from the arc, altering the magnitude of the charge on the arc, or changing the angle at which the electric field is being measured.

5. How does the electric field of a charged arc affect nearby objects?

The electric field of a charged arc can exert a force on nearby charged objects, causing them to move or experience a change in their electric potential energy. It can also cause objects to become charged by induction, where the electric field induces a separation of charges within the object.