Dimensional Regularization of an Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Dimensional Regularization to renormalize a UV-divergent integral. The integral involves four-momenta and a mass parameter, and the speaker is unsure how to apply Leibbrandt's prescription for DimReg since it assumes the integral is made up of propagators. The speaker also mentions using a CT-scheme for renormalization.
Sunset
Hi!

I want to renormalize the following UV-divergent integral using Dimensional Regularization:

[tex] \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \frac{d^4 p}{\left(2 \pi \right)^4} \frac{1}{a p_0^2 +\left(a p_x^2+a p_y^2+a p_z^2 +M^2\right)^2} [/tex]

[tex] a>0 [/tex]

I can only find literature which deals with integrands [tex]f \left(p\right) [/tex], i.e. the components of [tex] p=(p_0,p_x,p_y,p_z) [/tex] do not appear isollated as in my integral above. I found for example on p.854 (M>0) resp. p.862 (M=0) of "Leibbrandt: Introduction into the technique of Dimensional regularization" (see http://prola.aps.org/abstract/RMP/v47/i4/p849_1" ) a general prescription how to do DimReg, but I guess I cannot apply it in my case.

Maybe step (ii) would be [tex]\frac{1}{a p_0^2 +\left(a p_x^2+a p_y^2+a p_z^2 +M^2\right)^2} = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{ - \alpha \left(a p_0^2 + \left[a p_x^2+a p_y^2 + a p_z^2 + M^2\right]^2 \right) } [/tex]

But step (iii) I cannot perfom because I don't have a generalised gaussian integral. Unfortunately I haven't found a corresponding formulae for my case...

Maybe someone of you has an idea how the prescription in the URL can be generalised, or where to look for a hint how to cope with the integral?

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit confused. what's the difference between M and p0? I guess its some four-dim relativistic stuff you are doing?

you could at least integrate d^3p=4*pi*p^2*dp and integrate out that analytic first, but then you get p0 left, which is hard to integrate out.

Hi!

sorry, I wasn't able to read & write until today, due to the server problems.

The integral is a divergent part of a thermal integral (finite temperature field theory). I carried out the Matsubara Sum and I received the contribution [tex] \int \frac{d^3 \bf{k} }{\left( 2 \pi \right)^3 } \frac{T}{\epsilon^2_z} [/tex]

I introduced a integration over [tex] \kappa [/tex] to receive an integral over 4 real-valued momenta.

[tex] \int \frac{d^3 \bf{k} }{\left( 2 \pi \right)^3 } \frac{T}{\epsilon^2_z} = \int \frac{d^3 \bf{k} }{\left( 2 \pi \right)^3 } \frac{T Z}{\pi} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} d \kappa \ \frac{1}{Z^2 \kappa^2 + \epsilon^4_z} [/tex]

with [tex] \sqrt{Z^2 \bf{k}^2 +M^2 } \equiv \epsilon_z [/tex]

Leibbrandts prescription is also for such integrals but he assumes that the integral is made of propagators. Although my integrand looks similar to a propagator, it differs from it because of the +signs instead of the -signs from the euclidean metric (I guess that caused your confusion)

My question is mainly: why does the prescription of Leibbrandt assume that there are always propagators in the integrals you want to dimReg-ularise...? There are definitely others! Where can such a prescription be found? Or how can Leibbrandts be applied to others?

I managed to renormalize the above integral with a CT-scheme, but I would like to know how it is with DimReg...

1. What is dimensional regularization of an integral?

Dimensional regularization is a mathematical technique used in physics and other fields to handle divergent integrals in higher dimensions. It involves extending the integral to a complex number of dimensions and then analytically continuing it back to the original dimension. This allows for the computation of integrals that would otherwise be infinite or undefined.

2. Why is dimensional regularization used?

Dimensional regularization is used because it provides a systematic and consistent method for dealing with divergent integrals in higher dimensions. It allows for the calculation of physical quantities in theories that would otherwise be plagued by infinities, and it is also a powerful tool for renormalization in quantum field theory.

3. What are the advantages of using dimensional regularization?

One of the main advantages of dimensional regularization is its ability to preserve symmetries in calculations. It also provides a more elegant and efficient approach to handling divergences compared to other regularization methods. Additionally, it is applicable to a wide range of physical theories, making it a versatile tool for physicists.

4. Are there any limitations to dimensional regularization?

While dimensional regularization is a powerful and widely used technique, it is not without its limitations. It may not work for all types of divergent integrals, and in some cases, the analytic continuation back to the original dimension may lead to incorrect results. Additionally, it may be difficult to apply in certain non-perturbative situations.

5. How does dimensional regularization relate to other regularization methods?

Dimensional regularization is closely related to other regularization methods, such as cutoff regularization and Pauli-Villars regularization. In fact, it can be seen as a generalization of these methods. Dimensional regularization is also often used in conjunction with other techniques, such as renormalization, to fully address divergences in physical theories.