Basic Concepts: Answers to Common Questions

• Thread starter muppet
  • Start date
In summary: A summary of the following conversation is that people are asking the same questions, and it might be a good idea to create a sticky to deal with the most basic conceptual questions.
muppet
I'm not entirely certain that this should be here rather than somewhere more general, but it pertains specifically to this forum. There's quite a few posts from people essentially asking the same questions, often in various guises ("electrons"/"two slit experiment"/"wave-particle duality" ... etc.) Would it be an idea if we created a sticky to deal with most the most basic conceptual questions? Either a series of explanatory posts, links to decent material on the internet, relevant sections of the PF library, or similar. Or perhaps a thread with a particularly transparent discussion of the central ideas could be resurrected? I suspect that most people don't discover the PF library until they post on here and decide to follow one of the links that are automatically inserted.
Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
With the PF library in operation I don't think it'll be updated any more.

One of the best parts about the PF library is that we don't need to create links to library articles because of the auto-link feature. For instance, check out these hypothetical question.

Can someone explain friction to me?

Notice how the library articles are automatically linked to. Thus, having a thread linking to them is not necessary.

Last edited:
Yeah, but so far the library categorizes entries by topic, not by questions which a faq would. I'm in favour of having a Physics FAQ in the library as an entry which is easily visible to those who click the Library link.

muppet said:
There's quite a few posts from people essentially asking the same questions, often in various guises ("electrons"/"two slit experiment"/"wave-particle duality" ... etc.)

Hi muppet! :smile:

Create a Library entry entitled "two slit experiment" … that should get plenty of autolinking.

No, seriously, do it … you're right, it is needed … and it won't happen unless someone volunteers! :smile:

Thanks for the responses guys :smile: Just to clarify... this thread has been moved here from the Quantum physics forum, where no such sticky exists. I was thinking about something there because
1) QM is arguably the most conceptually difficult area of physics
2) Many "laypeople" (by which I mean anyone not actually studying to university level or researching physics) find their way onto PF having come across popularisations of QM.
Also, the trouble with the physics library is that you won't see the links until after you've posted- the real benefits of such an idea would I think derive from providing a resource such that people do not need to post having already read it. Zapper suggested I write an entry for the existing sticky, and I think it would be a good idea if a link was provided to that thread in the QM forum- someone who's primarily interested in quantum physics might not think that such relevant information would be found in General physics rather than the specific forum.
Any futher thoughts?

muppet said:
Also, the trouble with the physics library is that you won't see the links until after you've posted …

ah, but hopefully you'll have done a forum search on the subject before posting, and you'll have noticed the autolinks then. :smile:

In an ideal world, I agree! Although in fairness to those who don't, they might search these forums out implicitly assuming that all the terribly knowledgeable people on here already understand these things :biggrin: I'll try and write something clear on what QM MEANS (with reference to the two slit experiment- most people who post having already read a description of the experiment, which is clearer with diagrams in any event) then work out where the most appropriate place to put it is (the main difficulty there I envisage is that lost of different questions will (hopefully!) be answered by the same article!)
Then, when people aren't searching for them, I'll come back and beg admins to sticky something :biggrin:

muppet: I would welcome you writing a FAQ entry on this topic. I certainly have seen enough new members posting the same questions on it. [Sorry for the late reply - I'm attending a conference this week].

As for having a link to it from the QM forum, ideally, that would be nice and effective, but in reality, a lot of new members either missed or ignore the stickies. You wouldn't believe how many people post HW-type questions even when we have stickies with the title "Don't post your homework questions here" staring right in their faces. So all we can do is remember that there's an entry in the FAQ, and each time we see such questions, we simply tell them about the FAQ. To me, that would be the simplest thing to do.

Zz.

I've finally gotten around to writing something- hurrah! Sorry about the wait. The style is perhaps more in keeping with the FAQ section than the library, but I'm inclined to go for the library as the article is quite long at present (~1400 words -about 2 sides of A4) and I think auto-linking might be handy.
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to edit a library entry you've written once it's been submitted? I'd like to test the present version on my mum and younger brother before I upload it if not :biggrin:
I'd also think an entry on the interpretations of quantum mechanics might complement it quite nicely, but I think that might need some hammering out in the discussion section of QM :wink:

Its possible to edit the library entry once submitted if you're an HH, SA or mentor/admin.

Thanks. As you can see I'm none of those things... is there anywhere I could "preview" it on PF so people could criticize without having to get an admin to change it for me?

muppet said:
Thanks. As you can see I'm none of those things... is there anywhere I could "preview" it on PF so people could criticize without having to get an admin to change it for me?

report the item and include your changes and we'll get to it

PF Library

muppet said:
I've finally gotten around to writing something- hurrah! Sorry about the wait. The style is perhaps more in keeping with the FAQ section than the library, but I'm inclined to go for the library as the article is quite long at present (~1400 words -about 2 sides of A4) and I think auto-linking might be handy.
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to edit a library entry you've written once it's been submitted? I'd like to test the present version on my mum and younger brother before I upload it if not :biggrin:

Well done! The PF Library needs a lot more contributors! :smile:

No, you won't be able to edit it after uploading it …

I suggest you try it by previewing on a Reply to Thread page first … particularly to help you fiddle about with the LaTeX and the layout …

then you can save that to disk, check with mum and bro, and refine it further.

It's awkward, isn't it? I think the lack of an in-Library previewing or editing facility puts contributors off.

tiny-tim said:
It's awkward, isn't it? I think the lack of an in-Library previewing or editing facility puts contributors off.

Some new Library changes should be ready within the next couple weeks. One being edit permissions for the item creator. Another being a list of the 5 most recent comments on the front page.

Once it goes into the library and you submit it, it will be in the moderation queue. That means that the aforementioned people can have a look at and make any corrections you need. Once its been approved and there is something you're still not happy with you can report the item as Greg has mentioned and make a suggestion as to what you want added or removed.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Some new Library changes should be ready within the next couple weeks. One being edit permissions for the item creator.

ooh … that's great, greg! :smile:

will that be only while it's still in moderation (or putting it back into moderation if it's out)?
Another being a list of the 5 most recent comments on the front page.

perhaps the 5 most recent amendments instead? :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Some new Library changes should be ready within the next couple weeks. One being edit permissions for the item creator. Another being a list of the 5 most recent comments on the front page.

Wonderful. The entry might yet be made tonight!

Hmm. When I tried to save the entry, it told me that I didn't have permission to access the page. I can, however, see my entry in the section where I put it, with a large red bracketed M next to it; but on trying to read it I get a message telling me I can't access it. :confused:
EDIT: I'm assuming this needs it means awaiting moderation. The irony that I didn't read the library FAQs before having posted that hasn't escaped me :rofl:

muppet said:
Hmm. When I tried to save the entry, it told me that I didn't have permission to access the page. I can, however, see my entry in the section where I put it, with a large red bracketed M next to it; but on trying to read it I get a message telling me I can't access it. :confused:

It's now in the moderation queue. Staff will now review it for approval. thanks!

Oh yes: can I make a suggestion? An "alternative title" feature would be useful. I've chosen "double-slit" experiment as that seems to be more commonly used, but it would be nice if "two-slit experiment" also linked to it.

congratulations!

muppet said:
Oh yes: can I make a suggestion? An "alternative title" feature would be useful. I've chosen "double-slit" experiment as that seems to be more commonly used, but it would be nice if "two-slit experiment" also linked to it.

It actually ended up as " wave-particle duality " (which has already got lots of autolinking). :biggrin:

Anyway, congratulations on your contribution!

What are you going to do next? :wink:

Hey Tim, sorry it's taken me so long to reply- I haven't been PFing much since I returned to uni. Thanks for cleaning it up a bit! And I'm glad you thought the basic article was sufficiently ok as to want me to write any more! I'll see what irritates me next once I get back into the PF swing!

1. What are basic concepts?

Basic concepts are fundamental ideas, principles, or theories that serve as building blocks for understanding a particular subject or field of study.

2. Why are basic concepts important?

Basic concepts provide a foundation for understanding more complex ideas and can help to organize and make sense of new information. They also allow for effective communication and collaboration among individuals with different levels of knowledge and expertise.

3. How do basic concepts differ from facts?

Basic concepts are general principles or ideas, while facts are specific pieces of information. Basic concepts are used to explain and make sense of facts, and can be applied in various situations, whereas facts are typically specific to a certain context.

4. Can basic concepts change over time?

Yes, basic concepts can change over time as new information and evidence is discovered. As our understanding of a subject or field evolves, so do the basic concepts that serve as its foundation.

5. How can I learn and retain basic concepts?

To learn and retain basic concepts, it is important to actively engage with the material through various methods such as reading, discussions, and hands-on activities. Additionally, regularly reviewing and applying the concepts in different contexts can help to solidify understanding and retention.