How can I model the motion of a wave with changing amplitude?

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in modeling the motion of a wave function after receiving an input. They mention wanting to see the ups and downs and different colors when the amplitude is changed. They also ask for assistance in programming and visualizing the function, and suggest using Nehe's tutorials on OpenGL.
Vance
i have a wave function and i would like to see how it acts after it receives my first input. I would like to see its ups and downs and its different color when its amplitude is changed after the function value reaches a certain point.
For example let say y=Asin(x+p). Would you please tell me how to model its motion ?
Please help...

Thanks in advance

-F

Computer science news on Phys.org
x will change randomly and all the time...

Anyone have any ideas?

So how exactly do you want to approach this problem? Do you want to it in 2d or 3d? How much time to you have to complete the assignment? Are you familiar with programming in c/c++ or java?

Depends on the languages you want to use to program and visualize in, I have some experience in Visual C++ and OpenGL, I would consider it feasible.

1. What is a moving wave?

A moving wave is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without causing any permanent displacement in the medium itself.

2. What are the characteristics of a moving wave?

A moving wave has three main characteristics: amplitude, wavelength, and frequency. The amplitude is the maximum displacement of particles in the medium from their resting position, the wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points of maximum amplitude, and the frequency is the number of complete wave cycles that pass a given point in one second.

3. How is a moving wave modeled?

A moving wave is typically modeled using mathematical equations, such as the sine or cosine function, which describe the variation of the wave's amplitude over time and distance. These equations can be used to create a visual representation of the wave, known as a wave function, which shows how the wave changes over time and space.

4. What factors affect the speed of a moving wave?

The speed of a moving wave is affected by two main factors: the properties of the medium through which it travels, and the frequency of the wave. In general, waves travel faster through denser mediums and at higher frequencies.

5. How is a moving wave different from a standing wave?

The main difference between a moving wave and a standing wave is that a moving wave propagates through a medium, while a standing wave remains in one place. Additionally, a standing wave is created by the interference of two waves traveling in opposite directions, whereas a moving wave is created by a single disturbance traveling through a medium.