Proving G is Abelian Given (ab)3 = a3b3 for All a,b in G

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
In summary, we have a finite group G whose order is not divisible by 3 and where (ab)3 = a3b3 for all a, b in G. We want to prove that G must be abelian. Using the fact that G has no subgroups of order 3 and no elements of order 3, we can show that ab = ba for all a, b in G. This is achieved by first showing that (ba)3 = a3b3, then using the fact that 3 does not divide the order of G to show that cb^2 = b^2c for all c in G. This, in turn, is used to show that the mapping f(a) = a3
e(ho0n3
Problem. Let G be a finite group whose order is not divisible by 3. Suppose that (ab)3 = a3b3 for all a, b in G. Prove that G must be abelian.

Attempt. I know that G has no subgroups of order 3, hence no elements of order 3. Thus, if (ab)3 = a3b3 = e, then ab = e right? I don't know how to proceed. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's really hard to give a hint here. OK, let's see, we want to show that ab=ba. Let's look at (ab)^3 and (ba)^3. Try to play with these. Here's a push in the right direction: ababab=(ab)^3=a^3b^3, so that baba=a^2b^2.

I never thought about (ba)3. I had obtained (ba)2 = a2b2, but I didn't do anything with it. Let's see:

From (ba)2 = a2b2 we get that (ba)3 = baa2b2 = ba3b2. And since (ba)3 = b3a3, then ba3b2 = b3a3, so a3b2 = b2a3. Hmm...where can I use this equality?

Good progress. Now use the fact that 3 doesn't divide the order of G to show that cb^2=b^2c for all c in G.

To do that, I would show that for any c in G, there is an a in G with c = a3. And to do that, I would show that the mapping f(a) = a3 is 1-1: Suppose f(a) = f(b). Then a3 = b3 and e = b3a-3 = (ba-1)3. Since there are no elements of order 3, then the order of ba-1 must be either 1 or 2. The latter doesn't work so, ba-1 = e and b = a. It follows that f is also onto (since G is finite).

Great. Know what? Hmm... a3b3 = a2ab2b = a2b2ab, the last equality due to the result above. And since a3b3 = (ab)3, we have that a2b2ab = (ab)3, which after cancellation yields ab = ba. Nice.

Thanks a lot!

What does it mean for a group G to be Abelian?

A group G is Abelian if its operation is commutative, meaning that for all elements a and b in G, ab = ba.

What is the significance of (ab)3 = a3b3 in proving a group G is Abelian?

This equation is known as the "cube law" and it means that the group operation is associative. In order for a group to be Abelian, it must also be associative.

How does one go about proving that a group G is Abelian given (ab)3 = a3b3 for all a,b in G?

To prove that a group G is Abelian using this equation, you must show that for any two elements a and b in G, ab = ba. This can be done by manipulating the given equation and using the group's properties.

Is (ab)3 = a3b3 sufficient to prove that a group G is Abelian?

No, this equation alone is not sufficient to prove that a group G is Abelian. It is only one condition that must be met, but there may be other conditions that also need to be satisfied.

Are there any other ways to prove that a group G is Abelian?

Yes, there are other ways to prove that a group G is Abelian. One method is to show that every element in the group commutes with every other element. Another method is to show that the group's operation is commutative for all elements.