Is There a Simpler Way to Find a Normal Using the Given T-Value?

In summary, the task is to write a formula for a in the form a=a_{Y}T+a_{N}N without explicitly finding the values of T and N at the given t-value. The conversation discusses finding the first derivative and its length, as well as taking the derivative of that to find a_{T}. The question is whether it is necessary to plug in the given values into a formula for a_{N} or if there is a simpler way.
kuahji
Write a in the form a=a[tex]_{Y}[/tex]T+a[tex]_{N}[/tex]N without finding T and N at the given t-value.

r=t[tex]\widehat{i}[/tex]+3t[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\widehat{j}[/tex]+t[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2[tex]\widehat{k}[/tex] , t=2

The first thing I did was to find the first derivative. Which turned out to be i+6tj+tk
Then I found the length [tex]\sqrt{1+37t^{2}}[/tex]
Then I took the derivative of that to find a[tex]_{T}[/tex] 37t/[tex]\sqrt{37t^{2}+1}[/tex]

So my question really is, for a[tex]_{N}[/tex] do I really have to plug that mess into [tex]\sqrt{|a|^{2}-a_{T}^{2}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
or is there a shorter way?a=37t/\sqrt{37t^{2}+1}(i+6tj+tk)+a_{N}(-6tj+k/\sqrt{37t^{2}+1}) , t=2a_{N}=\sqrt{17/3+78/3}

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at exactly one point, called the point of tangency. It is perpendicular to the radius of the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to know the point of tangency and the slope of the tangent line. You can use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation, where the slope is the derivative of the function at the point of tangency.

3. What is a normal line?

A normal line is a line that is perpendicular to the tangent line at the point of tangency. It intersects the tangent line at the point of tangency and has a slope that is the negative reciprocal of the tangent line's slope.

4. How do you find the equation of a normal line?

To find the equation of a normal line, you need to know the point of tangency and the slope of the tangent line. Then, you can use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation, where the slope is the negative reciprocal of the tangent line's slope.

5. What are some applications of finding tangents and normals?

Finding tangents and normals is important in many fields of science and engineering. For example, in physics, tangents and normals are used to determine the velocity and acceleration of an object moving along a curved path. In engineering, they are used in designing curved structures and calculating forces acting on them. In mathematics, they are used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.