Proof on invertible matrices

In summary, to prove that an nxn matrix A is invertible, its determinant must be non-zero. This can be shown using elimination to put A in rref with a pivot in every row, and then using contradiction to show that a non-zero determinant implies at least one diagonal entry is 0. Furthermore, a non-zero determinant implies that the matrix is not singular, allowing for a unique solution when solving a system of linear equations. The inverse of A can be found using the adjugate matrix, which is the transpose of the cofactor matrix.
dim&dimmer

Homework Statement

Show that the nxn matrix A is invertible iff its determinant is non-zero.
I think I can do this, but would like the validity checked.

Homework Equations

I would use |A| = the product of diagonal entries, because I don't know how to prove the non-diagonal entries of zero for [tex]A{C^T} =|A|I[/tex], where C is the cofactor matrix.(shown on Gil's videos)
[tex]AA^{-1}=I[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using eliminationto show A in rref, That is, all non diagonal entries of zero, then the det is the product of diagonals. If det=0 then at least one entry of diagonals (a11,a22,...,ann) = 0. Then this 0('s) entry cannot be multiplied to produce the entry in the identity matrix needed for [tex]AA^{-1}=I[/tex]
Is this ok?, if not , some direction would be most appreciated.
DIM

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution is on the right track, but there are a few things that could be clarified or expanded upon.

Firstly, the statement "If det=0 then at least one entry of diagonals (a11,a22,...,ann) = 0" is not necessarily true. The determinant being 0 means that the product of diagonal entries is 0, but that doesn't necessarily mean that every diagonal entry is 0. For example, in a 2x2 matrix with a11 = 2 and a22 = 0, the determinant is 0 but only one of the diagonal entries is 0.

To prove that the determinant being 0 implies at least one diagonal entry is 0, you could use contradiction. Assume that all diagonal entries are non-zero, and then show that this leads to a contradiction with the determinant being 0.

Secondly, you mention using elimination to show A in rref, but you should also mention that the rref must have a pivot in every row. This is important because if there is a row of all 0's in the rref, then the determinant will be 0 regardless of the diagonal entries.

Finally, you could expand on your explanation of why a non-zero determinant implies invertibility. You could mention that a non-zero determinant means that the matrix is not singular, meaning it has a unique solution when solving a system of linear equations. This is necessary for the existence of an inverse. You could also mention that the inverse can be found using the adjugate matrix, which is essentially the transpose of the cofactor matrix. This ties in with the cofactor matrix mentioned in the Homework Equations section.

Overall, your solution is good but could benefit from some more clarification and expansion. Good job!

What is an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique inverse matrix. This means that when multiplied together, the inverse matrix and the original matrix will result in the identity matrix, which is a square matrix with 1s along the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else.

How do I know if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is not equal to 0. The determinant is a numerical value that can be calculated for a square matrix and is used to determine various properties of the matrix, including invertibility.

How do I find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination or Cramer's rule. These methods involve performing mathematical operations on the original matrix to transform it into its inverse. It is also possible to use software or calculators to find the inverse of a matrix.

Why are invertible matrices important in mathematics?

Invertible matrices have many important applications in mathematics, including solving systems of equations, calculating determinants, and performing transformations in geometry. They also play a crucial role in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, computer graphics, and statistics.

Are all square matrices invertible?

No, not all square matrices are invertible. Only matrices that have a non-zero determinant are invertible. Square matrices with a determinant of 0 are called singular matrices and do not have an inverse. Examples of singular matrices include matrices with rows or columns that are linearly dependent.