Integration within a DiffEQ problem

In summary, the given differential equation is solved using a substitution of y=ux and dy=udx+xdu. After combining and rearranging terms, the equation becomes dx/x=(2u+1)/(u^2+1)du. This can be split into two parts, 2u/(u^2+1) which is easily solved by substitution, and 1/(u^2+1) which can be solved using an arctan function.
Adrynalyne

Homework Statement

Solve the given differential equation by using an appropriate substitution.

Homework Equations

[tex](x^{2}+xy+3y^{2})dx-(x^{2}+2xy)dy=0[/tex]
[tex]y=ux, dy=udx+xdu[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](x^{2}dx+ux^{2}dx+3u^{2}x^{2}dx)-(ux^{2}dx+x^{3}du+2u^{2}x^{2}dx+2ux^{3}du)=0[/tex]
After combining, cancelling and moving terms into their appropriate places, I get:
[tex]\frac{dx}{x}=\frac{2u+1}{u^{2}+1}du[/tex]

This is where I get stuck, I am unable to integrate the right hand side. Can anyone help me out a little?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Split it into two parts. 2u/(u^2+1) looks easy by a substitution and 1/(u^2+1) looks like an arctan.

I cannot believe I didn't see that.

Thanks!

1. What is integration within a DiffEQ problem?

Integration within a DiffEQ problem is the process of finding the general solution to a differential equation by integrating both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable. This allows us to solve for the original function that satisfies the given differential equation.

2. Why is integration important in solving DiffEQ problems?

Integration is important in solving DiffEQ problems because it allows us to find the general solution, which represents all possible solutions to the differential equation. It also allows us to find specific solutions by using initial conditions or boundary conditions.

3. What are the different methods of integration used in DiffEQ problems?

The most commonly used methods of integration in DiffEQ problems are the power rule, integration by parts, substitution, and partial fractions. These methods may also involve the use of trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential functions.

4. How do I know which integration method to use for a particular DiffEQ problem?

The choice of integration method depends on the form of the differential equation and the functions involved. It is important to first simplify the equation and identify any patterns or recognizable forms before deciding on the appropriate integration method.

5. Can integration be used to solve all DiffEQ problems?

No, integration cannot be used to solve all DiffEQ problems. Some differential equations may not have a closed-form solution, meaning they cannot be solved using integration and require numerical methods instead. Additionally, some differential equations may be too complex to be solved by hand using integration and may require the use of computer software.