How can I control or focus a magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a handheld tesla coil to create a focused energy beam along the outside of a cylindrical shaft. This idea is likened to a stun baton meeting a lightsaber, but there are concerns about containing and compressing the energy using a magnetic field. The suggestion to post this idea in a Sci-Fi Writing forum is also made.
Maric604
After I discovered that someone had made a handheld tesla coil (http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/plasma-gun.htm), I started thinking about the possibilities. For example, would it be possible to use a magnetic field(s) to control and focus the energy that is being randomly radiated from the coil? The application that I had in mind would be to focus the energy from the tesla coil along the outside of a cylindrical shaft as closely and densely as possible. Think stun baton meets lightsaber! If the shaft had an iron cored electromagnet it would only produce a circular field around the shaft that would not be sufficient to contain the energy; there would have to be a way to "compress" the field lines down as much as possible to focus the energy, not to mention to prevent being continuously x-rayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
LOL. You might want to consider re-posting this in our Sci-Fi Writing forum. :smile:

1. How can I create a magnetic field?

You can create a magnetic field by using a magnet or by passing an electric current through a wire. Electromagnets are also a common way to create a magnetic field.

2. How can I increase the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be increased by increasing the number of turns in a wire, increasing the amount of current flowing through the wire, or using a stronger magnet.

3. How can I direct or control the direction of a magnetic field?

The direction of a magnetic field can be controlled by changing the orientation of a magnet or by using multiple magnets with opposite poles facing each other.

4. How can I focus a magnetic field to a specific area?

You can focus a magnetic field by using a magnetic lens, which is a specially shaped magnet that directs the magnetic field to a specific area.

5. Can I shield or block a magnetic field?

Yes, magnetic fields can be shielded or blocked by using materials such as iron or steel, which are highly permeable to magnetic fields. Other materials, such as copper, can also be used to redirect magnetic fields.