Calculating Enthalpy Change in Reactions Using HCl or NaOH - Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter NickP717
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the problem states that enthalpy changes are always reported with respect to a reactant, even if the reactant is not actually used in the reaction. To calculate the enthalpy change for a reaction in terms of kJ/mol, you need to work out the number of moles of the reactant used, the mass of the reactant, and the temperature change.
NickP717
The problem says: Enthalpy is always reported with respect to a reactant. Calculate the enthalpy change, DeltaH, for each reaction in terms of kJ/mol for one of the reactants. (i.e either HCL or NaOH).

I had three reactions:

1. NaOH + HCL---->H20 +NaCl
2.NH4Cl +NaOH---->H20 +NH3 +NaCl
3. HCl +NH3---->NH4

The first reaction I measured out 25.3mL of 2.0M HCl into a foam cup, then I dumped in 25.4mL of NaOH solution into the cup... my lowest temperature was 22.6 degrees C (before two solutions re combined., and my highest was 35.7 degrees C (when the solutions were mixed).

The second reaction I measured 25mL of 2.0M NaOH into a foam cup and then dumped 25.4mL of 2.0M NH4Cl solution. My lowest temperature was 22.5 degrees C (before mixing), and highest was 23.8 degrees C (after mixing).

The third reaction I measured 25.3mL of 2.0M HCl into a foam cup and then dumped 25.5 mL of 2.0M NH3 solution. My lowest temperature was 22.4 degrees C (before mixing), and highest was 31. 7 degrees C (after mixing thr two solutions.

Can somebody help me and show me what to do possibly, I really have no clue. Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
How much heat evolved in each case?

I would do it by working out the total amount of temperature rise over the whole reaction mixture (which you have been given), and then assume that the density of the two solutions is still 1.00 g/cc (which they will be, as near as makes no odds).

The delta H will then be:

Delta H = m.c.t

where m is the mass of the two solutions (technically the mass of the WATER in the two solutions but it's as near as makes no odds, as I said above), c is the specific heat of water, which is 4.2 J/g, and t is the temperature change.

First, work out the number of moles of HCl that you have used. This will be equal to 25.3/1000 x 2 = 0.0506 moles.

Now do the delta H calculation:

Delta H = (25.3+25.4) x 4.2 x 13.1 = 664.17 J

Therefore, 0.0506 M gives 664.17 J.

So, per mole (of HCl) it works out at (1/0.0506) x 664.17 = 13,125.89 J

So delta H wrt HCl is 13.13 kJ/mol.

Thats how I'd do it...but since I haven't done these for about 25 years I may be wrong ! :smile:

1. What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that represents the total amount of energy in a system, including both its internal energy and the energy required to perform work.

2. How does enthalpy change?

Enthalpy change refers to the amount of energy that is either absorbed or released by a system during a physical or chemical change. It is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the number of moles of substances involved.

3. What causes a change in enthalpy?

A change in enthalpy is caused by a change in the internal energy of a system, which can occur due to changes in temperature, pressure, or the number of moles of substances. It can also be caused by chemical reactions or physical processes.

4. How is enthalpy measured?

Enthalpy is measured in units of energy, such as joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ). It can be measured experimentally using calorimetry, which involves measuring the heat flow during a physical or chemical change.

5. Why is enthalpy important in chemistry?

Enthalpy is important in chemistry because it allows us to predict and understand the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions. It also helps us to design and optimize chemical processes and reactions for practical applications.