Can teens WORK for money nowadays?

In summary, the speaker shares their experience of trying to help a couple of young girls earn some cash by shoveling their walk. However, when they returned from lunch, the girls had not finished the job and their shovels were missing. This leads the speaker to question the decency and work ethic of teenagers nowadays. They also reminisce about their own experience as a teenager, where they would work hard to shovel snow and earn money. The speaker also shares a story of a similar experience from last year where a mistake was made while helping a customer.
drankin
Today, while working from home, a couple of young girls, probably 14-15yrs old, came by and asked if they could shovel my walk. "How much?", "$10", "ok". I wasn't getting to it myself right away and thought that I would be cool help these teenagers earn some cash by actually working for it! They only had a squared end garden shovel so I went out to the garage and gave them some snow shovels.

Then my dad comes by and invites my wife, daughter, and I to lunch. The girls were about half done so we paid them and went to lunch. When we came back, the walk wasn't finished and our shovels were gone!

So much for trying help a couple of teenagers earn some cash.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't generalize. ; )

Sorry bout your getting ripped off though.

binzing said:
Don't generalize. ; )

Sorry bout your getting ripped off though.

I know what you mean but man, try to help someone out and you makes you wonder if teenagers are taught a little decency anymore. These were the only kids that have even come by to ask and we have had snowfall for weeks.

When I was a kid, all us neighbor kids would get together and shovel everything in sight making good hard-earned spending money. When I saw snow, I saw opportunity. This just shows me that attitude of our teens.

We got some record snowfall when I was a kid, with snow half-way up ground-story windows and piled on roofs. I couldn't handle all the business I was generating, so I recruited a couple of hard-working kids to help me, and we worked our butts off clearing roofs, opening windows and doors and clearing drives so that service vehicles, emergency vehicles, etc could enter drives. I charged $5/hr (early '60's) for a 3-man crew and split it evenly, although I was the one trudging though drifts to make the deals. I guess I was pretty stupid, in retrospect.

I felt pretty bad about this last week. A girl about 12 or so came and asked if I'd like her to shovel my walk (and she had her own shovel). I would have liked to have given her the job, but my next-door neighbour does all of the shoveling and lawn-mowing. In return, I pay for his cable. Given the amount of snow around here, though, I'm sure that she had plenty of business.

I did some work like hta tlast year. My bro had his bosses truck and plow so it made it nice. Problem happened when I was talking to my customer and he said something about getting new grass in his lawn. A few minutes later my brother (being not too experienced) tore up a huge hole in the lawn. Bad as it was the look on his face was priceless. I feel really bad about all that though.

1. Can teens legally work for money nowadays?

Yes, there are labor laws in place that allow teens to work for money. However, there are restrictions on the types of jobs, hours, and working conditions for teens under the age of 18.

2. What types of jobs are available for teens?

There are a variety of jobs available for teens, including retail, food service, babysitting, pet sitting, and lawn care. However, some jobs may have age restrictions and require certain skills or certifications.

3. How many hours can teens work per week?

The number of hours teens can work per week depends on their age and state labor laws. Generally, teens under 16 years old can work a maximum of 18 hours per week during the school year and 40 hours per week during summer or school breaks.

4. Can teens work full-time jobs?

No, teens under the age of 18 are not legally allowed to work full-time jobs. The number of hours they can work per week is limited by labor laws to ensure they have enough time for school, extracurricular activities, and rest.

5. Do teens need a work permit to work for money?

In most states, teens under 18 years old are required to obtain a work permit before starting a job. This permit is typically issued by the school or local government and ensures the teen is following labor laws and attending school regularly.