Plane w/ Point A & Parallel to Plane w/ Equation

In summary, the task is to determine vector and parametric equations for a plane containing the point A(2, 3, -1) and parallel to a given plane. The original plane has an equation of (x, y, z) = (2, 1, -3) + s(5, 2, -1) + t(3, -2, 4), and the new plane's equation would be (x, y, z) = (2, 3, -1) + s(5, 2, -1) + t(3, -2, 4). The solution involves finding the vector and parametric equations for the original plane, and using them to create the
unknown101

Homework Statement

Determine vector and parametric equations for the plane containing the point A(2, 3, -1) and parallel to the plane with equation (x, y, z) = (2, 1, -3) + s(5, 2, -1) + t(3, -2, 4). Show your work.

Homework Equations

Vector and parametric
This a strange equation that I have never seen before because it has 2 parameters: s and t

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the parametric equation for the x, y,z equation
x=2+5s+3t
y=1+2s-2t
z=-3-t+4t

Am I supposed to find the direction vector? In one of my notes is says that the direction vector is perpendicular to the plane's normal vector but I don't know if it applies here?

Physics news on Phys.org
unknown101 said:
Determine vector and parametric equations for the plane containing the point A(2, 3, -1) and parallel to the plane with equation (x, y, z) = (2, 1, -3) + s(5, 2, -1) + t(3, -2, 4). Show your work.

Hi unknown101! :smile:

I think what they mean by "vector and parametric equations" is that the vector and parametric equation for the original plane is (x, y, z) = (2, 1, -3) + s(5, 2, -1) + t(3, -2, 4) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi unknown101! :smile:

I think what they mean by "vector and parametric equations" is that the vector and parametric equation for the original plane is (x, y, z) = (2, 1, -3) + s(5, 2, -1) + t(3, -2, 4) :wink:

So would the equation for the new equation be (x,y,z)=(2,3,-1)+s(5, 2, -1) + t(3, -2, 4).

unknown101 said:
So would the equation for the new equation be (x,y,z)=(2,3,-1)+s(5, 2, -1) + t(3, -2, 4).

Yup! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
Yup! :biggrin:
Thanks a lot:)

1. What is a plane?

A plane is a flat, two-dimensional surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It can be thought of as a sheet of paper or a tabletop.

2. What is a point?

A point is a specific location in space that is represented by a single set of coordinates. In mathematics, it is often denoted by a dot.

3. How is a plane defined by a point and a parallel line?

A plane can be defined by a specific point and a line that is parallel to the plane. This means that the line will never intersect or touch the plane, but it will always be the same distance from the plane at all points.

4. What does the equation of a plane represent?

The equation of a plane represents the relationship between the coordinates of a point and the distance from the plane. It can be used to determine if a point is on the plane or how far away it is from the plane.

5. How can the equation of a plane be used?

The equation of a plane can be used in a variety of ways, including solving geometric problems, creating three-dimensional models, and analyzing relationships between points and planes. It is a useful tool in many areas of mathematics and science.