Finding Exact Values for tan^2θ=2tanθsinθ on the Interval 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π

• Thread starter rought
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, to solve for 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π (pi) in the equation tan^2θ=2tanθsinθ, you can find three solutions immediately by setting tan(θ) = 0. To find more solutions, divide both sides by tan(θ) and use the identity tan(θ) = sin(θ)/cos(θ). This will lead to the solutions cos(θ) = 0 and cos(θ) = 1/2, which give the values π/2 and π/3 respectively. However, it is important to note that cos(θ) = 0 is not a valid solution as it makes tan(θ) undefined. So the correct solutions are
rought

Homework Statement

Solve for 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π (pi). Give the exact values.

tan^2θ=2tanθsinθ

I'm not sure how to go about this one =/

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, observe that this equation holds when [tex]tan(\theta) = 0[/tex], so you should be able to find three solutions immediately.

Now, try and find more solutions. Hint: you can safely divide by [tex]tan(\theta)[/tex] now because you know it's not equal to 0. Then, remember that
[tex]tan(\theta) = \frac{sin(\theta)}{cos(\theta)}[/tex].

Let's see what you can do from there!

ok I worked it out and i got: cosθ=0 and cosθ=1/2 which gave me π/2 and π/3 ... does that seem right?

The [tex]cos(\theta) = 1/2[/tex] is correct, but I don't know how you arrived at [tex]cos(\theta) = 0[/tex]. If [tex]cos(\theta) = 0[/tex], then [tex]tan(\theta)[/tex] is undefined. Although both sides are undefined, it does not mean they are equal. That would be similar to saying 1/0 = 0/0, which is not true! Also, remember there are two solutions for [tex]cos(\theta) = 1/2[/tex] on [tex][0,2\pi][/tex], one of them is [tex]\pi/3[/tex] as you mentioned. What do you think the other one is? Drawing a graph out might help.

Dunkle said:
The [tex]cos(\theta) = 1/2[/tex] is correct, but I don't know how you arrived at [tex]cos(\theta) = 0[/tex]. If [tex]cos(\theta) = 0[/tex], then [tex]tan(\theta)[/tex] is undefined. Although both sides are undefined, it does not mean they are equal. That would be similar to saying 1/0 = 0/0, which is not true! Also, remember there are two solutions for [tex]cos(\theta) = 1/2[/tex] on [tex][0,2\pi][/tex], one of them is [tex]\pi/3[/tex] as you mentioned. What do you think the other one is? Drawing a graph out might help.

the other one would be 5π/3

here's what I did

tan^2θ=2tanθsinθ
sin^2 θ/cos^2 θ=2(sinθ/cosθ).sinθ
sin^2 θ/cos^2 θ=2(sin^2 θ/cosθ)
1/cos^2 θ=2/cosθ
2cos^2 θ-cosθ=0
cosθ(2cosθ -1)=0

cosθ=0 and 2cosθ -1=0

Ok, I see what you did now. The reason that doesn't work is because, as I mentioned in my previous post, [tex]tan(\theta)[/tex] is undefined when [tex]cos(\theta) = 0[/tex]. So, this is not a valid answer.

Here's what I was attempting to get you to do:

[tex]tan^{2}(\theta) = 2tan(\theta)sin(\theta)
=> tan(\theta) = 2sin(\theta)
=> \frac{sin(\theta)}{cos(\theta)} = 2sin(\theta)
=> \frac{1}{cos(\theta)} = 2
=> cos(\theta) = \frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

You can divide by [tex]tan(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]sin(\theta)[/tex] because we assume that [tex]tan(\theta) \ne 0[/tex] because we already found the solutions when [tex]tan(\theta) = 0[/tex].

Is this clear?

rought said:
I'm not sure how to go about this one =/

Generally if you are stuck, put everything in terms of cosines and sines so that you can combine and cancel things.

rought said:
the other one would be 5π/3

here's what I did

tan^2θ=2tanθsinθ
sin^2 θ/cos^2 θ=2(sinθ/cosθ).sinθ
sin^2 θ/cos^2 θ=2(sin^2 θ/cosθ)
1/cos^2 θ=2/cosθ
2cos^2 θ-cosθ=0
cosθ(2cosθ -1)=0

cosθ=0 and 2cosθ -1=0

[tex]\cos{\theta}[/tex] doesn't work because tangent is undefines when cosθ=0. You also divided by sinθ, which assumes that [tex]\sin{\theta}\not= 0[/tex]. This caused you to lose that solution which works.

ah ok thanks a ton guys =]

1. What does "0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π (pi)" mean?

"0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π (pi)" is an inequality that represents a range of values for the variable θ. It means that θ can have any value between 0 and 2π (pi), including 0 and 2π (pi) themselves.

2. Why is it important to solve for 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π (pi)?

Solving for 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π (pi) is important in many scientific and mathematical applications, particularly those involving trigonometric functions. It allows us to find the exact value of θ within a specific range, which is necessary for accurate calculations and analyses.

3. How do I solve for 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π (pi)?

To solve for 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π (pi), you can use various methods such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or graphing. The specific method will depend on the given equation or problem.

4. Can θ be any value within the range of 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π (pi)?

Yes, θ can have any value within the range of 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π (pi), including the endpoints 0 and 2π (pi). This means that θ can take on an infinite number of values within this range.

5. Why is π (pi) used in this equation instead of a numerical value?

The use of π (pi) in this equation is because it represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, which is a fundamental constant in mathematics. This allows for a more precise and general solution, as the equation can be applied to any problem involving circular or periodic functions.