First problem in Cohen-Tannoudji

• Thread starter daudaudaudau
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving an exercise in Cohen-Tannoudji Volume 1 and the difficulty in finding the link between wavelength and energy in a diffraction problem. It is mentioned that the mass of a neutron may play a role in the solution. The participants also discuss the rules and guidelines of the forum.
daudaudaudau
Hi. I'm trying to solve the very first exercise in Cohen-Tannoudji Volume 1, but I can't really get anywhere. Can someone give me a hint? This is not homework. We used Bransden and Joachain in the course I just finished, so I thought I'd take a look at Cohen now.

Attachments

• cohen.jpg
    cohen.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a diffraction problem.

Redbelly98 said:
This looks like a diffraction problem.

I agree:

sin(θ)=pλ/l

here p=1

I don't know what to do with λ though...there must be some link between λ and energie...
keep in mind that the mass of a neutron is more like 1.67*10^-27 kg

Welcome to Physics Forums L'Aviateur :smile:

L'Aviateur said:
I don't know what to do with λ though...there must be some link between λ and energie...

Yes, indeed there is. But we do need to let the OP do some of the work here, in accordance with the Forum rules and guidelines :wink:

1. What is the "First problem" in Cohen-Tannoudji?

The "First problem" in Cohen-Tannoudji refers to the first problem presented in the textbook "Quantum Mechanics" by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, Bernard Diu, and Franck Laloë. It is a theoretical exercise that involves solving the time-independent Schrödinger equation for a one-dimensional potential well.

2. Why is the "First problem" important in quantum mechanics?

The "First problem" is important because it serves as a fundamental example of applying quantum mechanics principles to solve a physical problem. It also helps in understanding the concept of wave functions and their behavior in different potential wells.

3. What is the mathematical approach to solving the "First problem"?

The mathematical approach to solving the "First problem" involves using the time-independent Schrödinger equation, which is a second-order partial differential equation, to find the wave function and energy eigenvalues of the system. Boundary conditions are also applied to determine the specific solution for the given potential well.

4. What are the assumptions made in solving the "First problem"?

The "First problem" makes several assumptions, including the one-dimensional nature of the potential well, the absence of external forces, and the restriction to non-relativistic quantum mechanics. It also assumes that the potential function is piecewise constant within the well.

5. What are the applications of the "First problem" in physics?

The "First problem" has various applications in physics, including understanding the behavior of electrons in a solid-state material, calculating the energy levels of atoms and molecules, and predicting the behavior of quantum systems in different potential wells. It also serves as a starting point for more complex problems in quantum mechanics and has implications in fields such as quantum computing and nanotechnology.